Pittsburgh, Pa. (February 16, 2019) - The Mount St. Mary's men's and women's tennis teams were downed by Carnegie Mellon on Saturday night. The Carnegie Mellon men topped the Mountaineer men 8-1 while the Mount women dropped the match to the Carnegie Mellon women 7-2. The Mount St. Mary's men's duo of Evan Hine and Jean Armstrong picked up the only point of the match in the number two flight in doubles action. Alexa Quintanilla highlighted the women's match by winning the number one singles flight and teamed with Hannah Davis to earn the victory in the second doubles flight. With the loss, the Mount women fall to 0-4 on the year while the Mount men drop to 1-5.
In singles competition, Carnegie Mellon swept all six flights to secure the match victory. Gabriel Santos and Jean Armstrong fought hard in the middle of the card at the third and fourth flights but ultimately fell to Ray Boppana and Robert Levin. Santos was defeated by Boppana 7-6, 6-4 while Armstrong was edged by Levin 7-6, 6-4.
Carnegie Mellon won the number one and three flights in doubles action for their seventh and eighth points of the match. The Mount's duo of Evan Hine and Jean Armstrong squeaked out a win over Ray Boppana and Nicholas Calzolano 8-6 in the second flight.
Alexa Quintanilla topped Danna Taylor by two sets of 6-4 in the number one flight but in order to win the second set, Quintanilla came back from a 4-1 deficit in a hard fought match. Carnegie Mellon won the next five flights to take a 5-1 advantage.
In doubles competition, Carnegie Mellon took the second and third flights for their last two points of the match. The Mount St. Mary's duo of Alexa Quintanilla and Hannah Davis teamed up for their fourth win of the season as they edged Vinaya Rao and Courtney Ollis 8-7 in the number one flight.
The Mountaineer women remain on the road for a match at St. Francis Pa. tomorrow, February 17 at 1:00 PM. The Mount men and women come back together and travel to Lehigh for matches on Sunday, February 24.
Men: Carnegie Mellon University 8, Mount St. Mary's 1
1. Daniel Levine (CMUM) def. Parth Sharma (MSMM) 6-3, 6-2
2. Chaz Downing (CMUM) def. Alonso Garcia (MSMM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Ray Boppana (CMUM) def. Gabriel Santos (MSMM) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
4. Robert Levin (CMUM) def. Jean Armstrong (MSMM) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
5. Clark Safran (CMUM) def. Chirs Lindsey (MSMM) 6-4, 6-2
6. Sam Gibson (CMUM) def. Evan Hine (MSMM) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: (2,6,1,5,3,4)
1. Daniel Levine/Chaz Downing (CMUM) def. Alonso Garcia/Gabriel Santos (MSMM) 8-4
2. Evan Hine/Jean Armstrong (MSMM) def. Ray Boppana/Nicholas Calzolano (CMUM) 8-6
3. Vayum Arora/Josh Pinckney (CMUM) def. Parth Sharma/Christian Duran (MSMM) 8-4
Order of finish: (3,1,2)
Women: Carnegie Mellon University 7, Mount St. Mary's 2
1. Alexa Quintanilla (MSMW) def. Danna Taylor (CMUW) 6-4, 6-4
2. Jamie Vizelman (CMUW) def. Hannah Davis (MSMW) 6-0, 7-5
3. Janabelle Wu (CMUW) def. Megan Smith (MSMW) 6-0, 7-5
4. Vinaya Rao (CMUW) def. Mia Pittman (MSMW) 6-1, 6-0
5. Melissa Strome (CMUW) def. Karen Anderson (MSMW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Alex Iordache (CMUW) def. Bri Gallagher (MSMW) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: (5,6,4,3,2,1)
1. Alexa Quintanilla/Hannah Davis (MSMW) def. Vinaya Rao/Courtney Ollis (CMUW) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Jamie Vizelman/Janabelle Wu (CMUW) def. Mia Pittman/Megan Smith (MSMW) 8-2
3. Victoria Chang/Beata Liberchuk (CMUW) def. Bri Gallagher/Karen Anderson (MSMW) 8-0
Order of finish: (3,2,1)