Maddie Tchou's Late Goal Lifts Mount St. Mary's Past Howard, 2-1

Maddie Tchou's Late Goal Lifts Mount St. Mary's Past Howard, 2-1

Emmitsburg, Md. (August 31, 2018)--Freshman Maddie Tchou's second goal of the game with 1:49 remaining in regulation lifted Mount St. Mary's past Howard, 2-1, on Friday afternoon at Waldron Family Stadium.  Tchou took a pass from Jenna West, touched the ball past the defender, and beat the goalkeeper for the winning goal.  The win was the first career victory for first-year Mount head coach Tori Krause.

The Mount (1-3) took control of the game with an early goal.  Tchou tapped in a cross from Gianna Pomykacz to give the Mount a 1-0 advantage.  The play started near midfield when Bianca Gillman dropped in a long ball off a free kick to Pomykacz, who crossed the ball to the middle to Tchou, who calmly tapped it in for the Mount's first goal of the season.  The Mountaineers carried play throughout the opening half, holding a 9-0 advantage in shots until the final minute.

The Bison (1-3) took advantage of a free kick just outside the penalty box in the final minute to even the score at the half.  Priscilla Ayala took the free kick, and had her shot carom off the right post.  The ball rebounded off a Mount defender to Aleeya Sawyer, who knocked it in with just 7.7 seconds left in the half to make it a 1-1 game.

Early in the second half, the Mount's Kayla Hughes had a chance to put her team back in front, but saw her strike from just outside the box crash off the cross bar.  The Mountaineers finally broke through for the go-ahead goal in the in the 88th minute.  Jasmine McCree chased a ball down the left wing to start the play.  McCree played the ball back across the field to Pomykacz, who played it to West in the middle.  West made a move, and sent a pass to Tchou, who tapped the ball past the defender, and beat the keeper for her second goal of the game. 

The Mount finished the game with a 17-to-7 advantage in shots while each team had a pair of corner kicks.  Mount goalkeeper Maggie Barron made three saves to earn the win in her first start of the season.  Mackenzie Diotte made five saves for Howard.

Mount St. Mary's returns to action on Sunday, September 2, with a 2:00 p.m. matchup at Radford.