Fairfield, CT (October 20th, 2019) – The Mount women's rugby team held off a strong second half surge from Sacred Heart to top the Pioneers 25-22. The win for the Mountaineers moves them into fourth place in the NIRA Tier II standings. Five different Mounties scored to top the Pioneers. The victory propels the Mount into the NIRA Tier II playoffs.
Mount St. Mary's 25, Sacred Heart 22
Mount St. Mary's 5-3 (4-3 NIRA), Sacred Heart 1-5 (1-5 NIRA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mount jumped out to a 10-0 lead at halftime from tries by Alyssa Mathis and Jalana Garcia.
- Sacred Heart answered with a try of their own to open up the second half to cut the lead to 10-5.
- Jordan Butcher got on the stat sheet with try to increase the Mount's lead to 15-5. A ten point run from the Pioneers evened the match at 15 with a try and penalty kick.
- Shania Miller regained the lead for the Mountaineers 20-15 with under sixteen minutes left to go. Sacred Heart got its first lead of the game with a try and a conversion kick to take over 22-20 with under twelve to play.
- Jen Lewaren walked it off for the Mountaineers scoring a try with less than two minutes to play. The Mount held on for the 25-22 victory.
The Mount women's rugby team will await their fate as the fourth seed in the NIRA Tier II playoffs. The top seed is still undetermined between Brown, Queens, and West Chester.