Emmitsburg, Md. (October 6th, 2019) – The Mount St. Mary's women's rugby team was defeated by West Chester 15-14 on Sunday. A rainy defensive battle saw the Mountaineers fall just short after making a strong second half push to try and take the lead. Jalana Garcia led the Mount with two tries while Maya Grassi was 2-for-2 on conversion kicks. Autumn Czaplicki led the Golden Rams with two tries of her own.
West Chester 15, Mount St. Mary's 14
Emmitsburg, Md. | Echo Field
Mount St. Mary's 4-2 (3-2 NIRA), West Chester 4-0 (3-0 NIRA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Golden Rams tallied the first try of the game by Autumn Czaplicki just five minutes in. Kylie Corless was unable to convert the kick.
- Late in the second half, Czaplicki tallied her second try of the game to give the Golden Rams a 10-0 lead.
- Just before the end of the first half, Jalana Garcia first try of the match cut into West Chester's lead and Maya Grassi's ensuing kick made it 10-7 Golden Rams.
- Early in the second half, Haley Spangler touched the ball pass the touch line to give West Chester a 15-7 lead.
- With twenty minutes to go, Jalana Garcia tallied her second try of the match to get the Mount within reach. Maya Grassi's second conversion kick of the day made it 15-14 West Chester.
- Unfortunately, the Mount was unable to score in the last twenty and the Golden Rams held on for a 15-14 victory.