Posted: Apr 04, 2018
ABOUT THE MOUNT
- The Mountaineers collected their fifth win of the season last time out, as they've already surpassed last year's win total with seven games remaining. The Mount sits in a three-way tie with Bryant and Wagner for best record in the NEC at 5-4.
- In the most recent contest, Mount St. Mary's held off a late comeback by San Diego State to post a 13-12 victory. Junior goalie Jillian Petito stopped a pair of free-position shots in the final minute of play and registered 14 saves total to help the Mount escape with the win. Carly Miller led the way for the Mountaineers on the offensive end with four points on two goals and a pair of assists, while Beanie Colson, Marley Heller, Emily Davis and Kate Kinsella tallied two goals apiece.
- Following her stellar performance in the win over the Aztecs, Petito was named the Northeast Conference Defensive Player of the Week. The net minder racked up 14 saves for the fourth consecutive contest to tie her season-high. Petito became the third Mountaineer to garner an NEC weekly award this season, joining Miller and Colson, who were named NEC Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, back in late February.
- Petito continues to pile up the numbers in the Mount cage, as the Ocean City, Md. native ranks third in the nation in save percentage (.554), fifth in goals against average (8.56), and 10th in saves per game (10.89). Petito leads the NEC in all three of those categories, in addition to ground balls per game (3.89).
- On the offensive side of things, Miller and Colson continue to pace the team's attack. Miller tops the Mountaineers in all three scoring categories (17g, 11a, 28p), while Colson ranks second in assists (7) and points (22), and third in goals (15).
- The Mount looks to remain perfect all-time against Saint Francis U, having won each of the previous 15 meetings vs. the Red Flash. In last season's matchup, Marley Heller tallied a game-high four goals to lead the offense, while Petito made eight saves in the cage.
- Mount St. Mary's and Robert Morris will meet for the 15th time in series history on Sunday with the Mountaineers holding a slight 8-6 advantage. RMU edged the Mount 7-6 last season in Emmitsburg behind three goals from Maggie Stella.
- Goals: Miller (17), Carhart (16), Colson (15), Davis (15)
- Assists: Miller (11), Colson (7), Pagnotta (5)
- Points: Miller (28), Colson (22), Carhart (18)
- Ground balls: Petito (35), Davis (19), Allison (14)
- Caused turnovers: Davis (15), Petito (9), Allison (8)
- Draw controls: Colson (42), Daufenbach (26), Davis (21)
- Save pct: Petito (.554)
SCOUTING SAINT FRANCIS U
- The Red Flash have topped Hartford (20-7), Kennesaw State (13-12), Gardner-Webb (12-9) and East Carolina (12-7) this season as they sit at 4-6 overall.
- Jessica Mazzur leads the team in all three scoring categories with 30 goals, 11 assists and 41 points. The senior midfielder ranks third in the NEC with 3.0 goals per game. Goalie Ashley Stoessel has posted a .480 save percentage and 11.20 goals against average in nine games in goal.
SCOUTING ROBERT MORRIS
- The Colonials are 4-6 on the year with their victories coming against Duquesne (10-9), Radford (15-11), St. Bonaventure (11-6) and Louisville (13-12). Robert Morris takes on Wagner in its NEC opener on Friday before welcoming in the Mount in on Sunday.
- RMU offers a balanced attack as four players currently have over 14 points on the year. Melanie Gandy leads the squad in points (17) and assists (9), while Dana Davis is the team's top goal scorer (12). Katelyn Miller owns a .449 save percentage and 9.61 goals against average in 10 starts in the cage.
- The Mountaineers follow up Friday's tilt with their first conference road game against Robert Morris on Sunday, April 8 at noon.