Petito Comes Up Big as Mount St. Mary’s Holds Off San Diego State, 13-12

Petito Comes Up Big as Mount St. Mary’s Holds Off San Diego State, 13-12

Emmitsburg, Md. (March 30, 2018) – Junior goalie Jillian Petito stopped a pair of free-position shots in the final minute of play as Mount St. Mary's University held off San Diego State for a 13-12 victory on Friday afternoon at Waldron Family Stadium.

The Mount held a three-goal advantage with just 2:05 left in the game following a tally from Kate Kinsella, but San Diego State responded with a pair of quick strikes in the ensuing 50 seconds to cut the deficit to just one, 13-12, heading into the final minute.

With 45 seconds remaining in the contest, the Mount was called for a foul in the arc which set up Harlowe Steele with a free-position attempt. Steele fired one low, but was turned away by an impressive save from Petito. The rebound eventually trickbled out of bounds and possession was awarded back to San Diego State.

The Aztecs worked the ball around in the waning seconds but struggled to find a path towards goal. With just 2.8 seconds left on the clock, the Mountaineers were called for three seconds, setting up another free-position opportunity for SDSU. The Aztecs' leading scorer, Jill Haight, rifled a shot towards net, but Petito nabbed it as time expired to preserve the 13-12 Mount victory.

Petito registered 14 saves for the fourth consecutive game to tie her season-high. The junior net minder improved to 5-4 on the season with the victory.

Carly Miller led the way for the Mountaineers on the offensive end with four points on two goals and a pair of assists, while Beanie Colson, Marley Heller, Emily Davis and Kinsella tallied two goals apiece.

Haight netted a game-high three goals to pace SDSU, and Steele and Morgan Taylor chipped in with two goals each. Kate Sharretts made nine saves in the losing effort between the pipes.

In the first half of play, SDSU opened its largest lead of the contest, 4-1, at the 22:25 mark behind a pair of tallies from Haight.

The Aztecs held a 7-5 advantage with under 10 minutes left in the half before four straight goals from the Mountaineers, including two from Davis, put the Mount in front by a 9-7 margin.

SDSU notched two of the final three goals of the frame to trim the Mount St. Mary's lead to 10-9 heading into the intermission.

The Aztecs outshot the Mount 25-16 in the first half, but Petito made nine saves in the stanza to help keep the Mountaineers on top.

With the win, the Mountaineers improved to 5-4 overall as they've already surpassed last year's win total with seven games remaining. The Mount handed the Aztecs their fifth loss of the season, dropping them to 8-5 overall.

Mount St. Mary's opens Northeast Conference play next Friday (April 6) at home against Saint Francis U at 3 p.m.