Settle Drops Career-High 21 Points as Mount St. Mary’s Hands Robert Morris First NEC Loss

Settle Drops Career-High 21 Points as Mount St. Mary’s Hands Robert Morris First NEC Loss

Emmitsburg, Md. (February 16, 2019) – Jatarrikah Settle scored a career-high 21 points as Mount St. Mary's handed league-leading Robert Morris its first Northeast Conference (NEC) loss of the season, 61-55, in Saturday afternoon's action at Knott Arena.

Settle scored 10 of her career-best 21 points in the fourth quarter of play. The sophomore went 6-of-12 from the field in the contest, and also added six rebounds, six assists, and two steals. Bridget Birkhead chipped in 14 points, going 4-of-7 from long range, and Michaela Harrison added 13 points and six boards.

Nneka Ezeigbo was the long Robert Morris player in double-figures, finishing with 16 points and 12 rebounds to record the double-double.

The victory pushed the Mount to 11-12 overall and 5-7 in league play, while Robert Morris dropped to 14-9 overall and 11-1 in conference.

The Mountaineers trailed 43-42 entering the fourth quarter, before Rebecca Lee's tough bucket inside to open the period gave them their first lead since the early stages of the second quarter.

Later in the frame, Settle notched back-to-back buckets to make it a 49-46 Mount St. Mary's advantage. Ezeigbo responded with a basket in the paint for RMU, but Birkhead's fourth three-pointer of the game at the 5:50 mark increased the Mount advantage to 52-48.

The Colonials tied things up at 53-all with 4:41 on the clock following a triple from Natalie Villaflor. After a scoreless stretch of over three minutes for both teams, Nia Adams hit a short jumper to give RMU back the lead, 55-53, with 1:29 remaining.

Settle answered for the Mountaineers with 47 seconds left, as the sophomore got the paint, converted and got fouled. She sank the free throw to complete the traditional three-point play and give the Mount a 56-55 lead.

The Mount forced a turnover by the Colonials on the ensuing possession, and Settle picked up the loose ball and got fouled on a fast break going to the bucket. Settle made both shots from the line to make it a three-point Mount St. Mary's lead, 58-55.

RMU turned it over once again on the next possession on a travel by Nina Augustin. The Colonials were forced to foul, and sent Harrison to the line for a pair. The rookie converted both free throws to increase the lead to 60-55 with just 14 seconds left. The Mountaineers forced a miss by RMU on the other end to seal the victory and hand the Colonials their first loss in league play.

The Mountaineers shot 45 percent in the contest and 42.9 percent from deep. They held Robert Morris to just a 35.5 percent shooting performance and a 27.8 percent mark from three-point territory.

Following an even opening quarter that saw the Mount and RMU knotted up at 16-16, the Mountaineers scored the first five points of the second period, including a tough step-back three by Harrison as the shot clock expired, to open their largest lead of the half at 21-16. RMU answered with eight straight points over a two-minute stretch to take a 24-21 advantage heading into the second quarter media timeout.

The Colonials were able to remain in front throughout the final five minutes of the quarter, and took a 29-26 lead into the halftime break.

The Mount outshot RMU by a 45 percent to 32.3 percent margin in the opening half, but turned the ball over 14 times compared to just five by the Colonials. Settle (9 pts) and Harrison (8) combined for 17 of the Mount's 26 points in the half.

Mount St. Mary's remains at home to face Wagner on Monday, February 18 at 7 p.m.