Mountaineers Roll to 84-53 Victory Over Central Connecticut

Mountaineers Roll to 84-53 Victory Over Central Connecticut

Emmitsburg, Md. (January 14, 2019) – The Mount St. Mary's women's basketball team took command of the game early on against Central Connecticut State and never looked back, as the Mountaineers rolled to an 84-53 victory on Monday night at Knott Arena to collect their first Northeast Conference win of the season.

The Mount (7-8, 1-3 NEC) led throughout the entire contest en route to its largest victory of the season. The Mountaineers shot 51.6 percent from the field, which was their second-highest mark of the campaign. They also made 11-of-25 (.440) from long range, and held a 42-33 margin on the boards.

Juliette Lawless led the way with a game-high 21 points on 8-of-10 shooting, as she recorded her seventh 20-plus point effort of the season. The senior point guard also added three assists and three steals in the tilt. Michaela Harrison chipped in 14 points, Daly Sullivan tallied 12 points, four assists, and a career-high four steals, and Bridget Birkhead rounded out the team's double-figure scorers with 11 points. Rebecca Lee (12 rebounds) and Jatarrikah Settle (10) each finished with double-digit rebounds.

Lawless helped the Mountaineers jump out to a quick lead with the first five points of the contest, but Central Connecticut (3-11, 0-4 NEC) quickly evened it up at the 6:14 mark. From there, the Mount outscored Central 21-0 over the final six-plus minutes of the quarter to take a commanding 26-5 advantage at the end of one. Five different Mountaineers got in on the scoring during the huge run, including Birkhead who knocked down a trio of three-pointers and scored nine of her 11 points in just over a three-minute span.

After an Alexis Wooden layup to begin the second stanza, Ashley Berube finally put an end to Central's seven-plus minute scoring drought with a bucket in the paint.

The Mountaineers led 30-9 with 7:46 on the clock in the second before another big run gave them their largest lead of the contest. Lawless scored the opening six points of the rally on a traditional three-point play followed by a long ball, and Delaney Connors knocked down a three-pointer of her own to make it 39-9 at the 6:21 mark. The Mount wasn't done, as Harrison converted a traditional three-point play before Settle capped the rally with a triple to stake the Mount to a 45-9 advantage with 5:43 to play in the half. The Mount's 15-0 run happened in just 2:02 of action.

Central Connecticut was able to stop the momentum somewhat, outscoring the Mount by a pair in the final 5:42, but the Mountaineers took a big 49-15 lead into the break.

The Mount shot 47.4 percent overall from the field in the opening half and drained 8-of-16 (.500) from long range. The defense stymied CCSU, holding them to just 23.1 percent shooting from the field and a 1-of-8 (.125) mark from deep while forcing 13 CCSU turnovers in the half.

The Blue Devils held their own in the final two quarters, but they never cut the deficit under 29 the rest of the way, and the Mount cruised to an 84-53 victory.

Mount St. Mary's hits the road to face Wagner this Saturday, January 19 at 1 p.m.