Maryland Eastern Shore Pulls Away in Fourth Quarter to Down Mount St. Mary’s

Maryland Eastern Shore Pulls Away in Fourth Quarter to Down Mount St. Mary’s

Emmitsburg, Md. (December 20, 2018) – Maryland Eastern Shore went on an 11-0 run late in the fourth quarter to pull away from Mount St. Mary's and earn an 86-73 victory on Thursday night at Knott Arena.

Mount St. Mary's held a two-point advantage with 5:31 left in the contest before a decisive run by the Hawks put them in front for good. A Ciani Byrom layup evened the tilt at 65-65, and Bairesha Gill-Miles put Eastern Shore ahead by a pair with a bucket in the paint next time down the court. After Keyera Eaton netted four straight points, Adrienne Jones knocked down a three-pointer to cap the 11-0 run and extend the Eastern Shore advantage to 74-65 with 2:48 remaining.

Sullivan put an end to the rally with a layup for the Mountaineers to cut it back to a seven-point game, but Byrom answered with a jumper on the other end to stall any possible momentum. The Hawks were able to ice the game by making 10-of-14 from the line in the final 1:32 of play, and came away with the 86-73 victory.

Juliette Lawless led the Mountaineers with 22 points in the contest, which was her fourth 20-plus point effort in the last five games. The senior got to the free throw line throughout the tilt, and drained nine foul shots as part of her 22-point effort. Lawless also contributed a team-high six rebounds and four assists. Bridget Birkhead continued her hot shooting, going 5-of-8 from long range to set new career highs in points (15) and three-pointers (5). Daly Sullivan also found her stroke from deep, draining 4-of-9 from three-point range for 16 points.

Eaton led all scorers with 28 points to go along with seven rebounds and three assists. Jones notched 16 points, Ra'Jean Martin added 14 points and eight rebounds, and Byrom registered 13 points to help pace the Hawks.

The Mount (5-5) and Maryland Eastern Shore (3-8) played an even first half, as neither team led by more than four points until the final minutes. With the score knotted up at 27-27 with just 2:14 on the clock in the second quarter, Eastern Shore scored the final nine points of the half to grab a nine-point advantage. After a pair of free throws from Amanda Carney, Eaton drained a three-pointer to make it a five-point game. A layup from Dominique Walker and two foul shots by Eaton in the final 30 seconds gave the Hawks a 36-27 lead at the break.

Mount St. Mary's knocked down six three-pointers in the opening half of play, including three in the first quarter from Birkhead, who paced the squad with nine points in the first two quarters. Eaton led the Hawks with 14 points and six rebounds in the first half.

The Mount trailed by nine entering the second half, but staged a third quarter rally to take back the lead late in the period. Jatarrikah Settle hit 1-of-2 from the line with 1:44 on the clock in the third to give the Mount its first lead since the 3:58 mark of the second quarter. A pair of free throws from Alexis Wooden and a three-pointer from Birkhead on the team's next two possessions gave the Mount a 53-49 advantage late in the stanza. Eaton sank two foul shots for the Hawks in the final seconds to cut it to a 53-51 game heading into the fourth.

The decisive 11-0 run by Eastern Shore late in the fourth proved to be the pivotal moment in the contest, as the Hawks closed out the victory to grab their third win of the season.

The Mount shot a 40.4-percent clip from the floor in the contest and made 13-of-31 (.419) from long range. Eastern Shore posted a 54-percent mark from the field and made 6-of-14 (.429) from three-point territory.

The Mountaineers' next action is on January 2 when they welcome in Radford to Knott Arena for a matchup at 7 p.m.