The Mount's Four-Game Winning Streak Snapped in Loss at Virginia Tech

Blacksburg, Va. (December 16, 2018) – Mount St. Mary's was topped by Virginia Tech, 83-51, on Sunday afternoon, snapping the team's four-game winning streak while pushing the Hokies to a perfect 10-0 on the season.

Juliette Lawless paced the Mountaineers in the contest with a team-high 24 points, as she reached 20-plus point territory for the third time in the last four games. Jatarrikah Settle added 12 points and seven rebounds, while Bridget Birkhead knocked down a trio of three-pointers for a season-high 11 points.

For the Hokies, Taylor Emery led the way with 24 points. Regan Magarity notched a double-double with 18 points and 10 boards, and Trinity Baptiste (16 pts) and Dara Mabrey (13) also finished in double-figures.

The Mount shot 33.9-percent in the contest and went just 3-of-23 (.130) from downtown, while Tech shot an even 50-percent from the field and knocked down 4-of-16 (.250) from deep. The Hokies also held a 45-28 advantage on the glass.

The Mount (5-4) hung tough with Virginia Tech (10-0) in the first quarter despite shooting just 4-of-17 (.235) from the floor. The Hokies, who led 17-8 at the end of the first, pushed their advantage to double-digits for the first time in the contest at the midway mark of the second following a run of five straight points.

Mount St. Mary's battled back with an 8-4 rally late in the half, capped by a deep three from the wing by Birkhead, to make it just a six-point game, 31-25. Virginia Tech was able to answer with the final six points of the half on a pair of free throws from Mabrey and two buckets from Emery. The late rally gave the Hokies a 37-25 advantage at the halftime break.

The Hokies registered the opening seven points of the third quarter to increase their lead to 44-25. The resilient Mountaineers fought their way back to within striking distance at the midway mark of the period after going on a 12-2 run. Lawless netted five of the team's first seven points during the rally to make it a 44-32 game with 6:21 on the clock. After the teams traded baskets, Birkhead drained a long three-pointer just before the media timeout to bring the Mount within nine, 46-37.

Virginia Tech was able to put an end to the Mount rally, and closed the quarter on a 13-5 run to extend its lead to 59-42 heading into the fourth.

The Mount whittled the deficit down to 14 points early in the fourth, but the Hokies answered with seven straight to make it a 68-47 game, as they touched the 20-plus point lead for the first time on the afternoon. A late spurt by Tech in the final minutes increased their advantage, and they closed out the 83-51 victory to remain undefeated on the season.

Mount St. Mary's returns home to face Maryland Eastern Shore this coming Thursday, December 20 at 7 p.m.