Late Three Lifts LIU Brooklyn to 61-59 Victory Over Mount St. Mary’s

Late Three Lifts LIU Brooklyn to 61-59 Victory Over Mount St. Mary’s

Emmitsburg, Md. (February 3, 2018) – A deep three-pointer from Jeydah Johnson with just 14 seconds remaining proved to be the game winner as LIU Brooklyn topped Mount St. Mary's, 61-59, on Saturday afternoon in Northeast Conference action at Knott Arena.

The Mountaineers trailed by four with 1:42 left in the contest following a Denisha Petty-Evans three-pointer. The Mount was able to answer on the other end as Daly Sullivan drained her fifth three of the game off a feed from Juliette Lawless.

The Mount forced a miss on LIU's next possession and worked the ball down the court. Ashlee White misfired on a three, but intercepted a pass after the rebound and saved it to Jatarrikah Settle. Settle was fouled on an attempted layup and made 1-of-2 from the line to tie it at 56-56 with 47 seconds left.

On Settle's second free throw attempt that rimmed out, Deangelique Waithe ripped down the rebound and sent an outlet pass to Drew Winter, who was fouled in transition. The refs went to the monitors at the stoppage, and after review assessed an unsportsmanlike foul to Waithe for an elbow after the rebound. With fouls on both the Mount and LIU, each team was set for a pair of free throws. Winter sunk both of hers from the line for LIU, while Kayla Agentowicz made just 1-of-2 for the Mount, giving the Blackbirds a 58-57 lead with 42 seconds on the clock.

The Mount was awarded the ball following the free throws, and Lawless capitalized with a layup to put the Mount back on top, 59-58, with 37 seconds left.

On the next possession, LIU missed a pair of shots but came down the offensive rebound both times before calling a timeout with 23 seconds remaining. After the timeout, Winter sent a pass to Johnson on the near wing, and Johnson connected from deep to give the Blackbirds a 61-59 lead with 14 seconds showing on the clock.

The Mount had a chance to tie things up on the final possession, but Lawless' toughly contested layup didn't fall as LIU escaped with the 61-59 victory.

Sullivan led the Mount with 19 points on 7-of-14 shooting and a 5-of-11 mark from downtown. Lawless filled the stat sheet once again, chipping in with nine points, seven rebounds and six assists.

Johnson netted a game-high 20 points to pace LIU, going 8-for-15 from the field and 4-of-7 from deep. Stylz Sanders added a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds, and Waithe chipped in with 15 points and eight boards.

The Mountaineers led for the entirety of the first quarter behind a strong defensive effort that saw them force five turnovers while holding LIU to just 4-of-14 shooting from the field.

LIU took its first lead early in the second following a three-pointer from Johnson and a bucket from Petty-Evans, but Sullivan answered with five straight for the Mountaineers to put them back on top, 20-18, at the 6:30 mark.

After a pair of lead changes and two ties over the ensuing three minutes of play, the Blackbirds ended the period on a 7-2 run to take a 31-27 advantage into the halftime break.

Sullivan paced the Mount with 11 points in the opening half after knocking down a trio of three-pointers, while Johnson led the Blackbirds with 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting.

Both teams struggled offensively in the opening half, with the Mount shooting 38.2 percent as a team and LIU posting a 35.5 percent mark.

Mount St. Mary's remains in Emmitsburg to take on St. Francis Brooklyn this coming Monday (Feb. 5) at 7 p.m.