Gardner-Webb Holds Off Mount St. Mary’s for 75-67 Win

Gardner-Webb Holds Off Mount St. Mary’s for 75-67 Win

Emmitsburg, Md. (December 17, 2017) – Gardner-Webb held off a second-half comeback from Mount St. Mary's to come away with a 75-67 victory in non-conference women's basketball action on Sunday at Knott Arena. Caroline Hummell led all scorers in the contest with 26 points.

Hummell posted season-highs in points (26), rebounds (7) and steals (4), as the senior just missed out on her career-high of 28 points set last season against Morgan State. Hummell went 9-of-13 from the floor and 2-of-3 from deep, while registering 19 of her 26 points in the second half. Juliette Lawless chipped in with 15 points and six assists as she reached double-figures for the fourth time in the last five games. Rookie guard Daly Sullivan added 10 points and four rebounds in her third career start.

For Gardner-Webb, Tierra Huntsman led the way with a team-high 22 points on 8-of-14 shooting and a 4-for-5 mark from long range. Alexus Hill and Carley Plentovich netted 15 points apiece, and Ky'asia Stanford added 11.

Gardner-Webb (8-2) shot an even 50 percent from the field and went 10-of-14 (.714) from three-point range in the tilt. Mount St. Mary's (2-8) shot 40 percent from the floor and 23.1 percent from deep.

The Mount trailed by just one, 14-13, at the start of the second quarter, but a 16-0 run from the Runnin' Bulldogs over the opening six-plus minutes of the second staked GWU out to a 30-13 lead at the 3:39 mark. GWU held the Mount scoreless for nearly seven minutes during the stretch, and Huntsman scored nine of her 22 points as the Bulldogs extended the advantage to 30-13.

GWU remained in front by 15 with just a few ticks left on the clock, when Plentovich nailed a half-court shot to beat the buzzer, sending the Bulldogs into the locker room with a 40-22 halftime advantage.

GWU held a 20-point lead midway through the third quarter before the Mount rallied over the final six minutes to get back into the contest. The Mount scored 12 straight over a three-minute stretch, including eight combined from Hummell and Katrice Dickson, to cut the deficit to 48-40 with 3:40 showing on the clock.

After Hill hit 1-of-2 from the line to break up the 12 consecutive Mount points, Sullivan hit a three-pointer from the wing to make it just a six-point game. Hummell followed with a pair of free throws, and on the next possession, Lawless converted in the lane on a fast break to make it a one possession game, 49-47, with just under two minutes remaining in the frame.The Bulldogs answered with seven of the final eight points to push their lead back to eight, 56-48, heading into the fourth.

GWU padded its advantage to double digits with the opening bucket of the fourth quarter, and held onto the double-figure lead throughout most of the period. The Mountaineers were able to trim the deficit to eight points late in the stanza, but the Bulldogs held off the surge and closed out the 75-67 victory.

Mount St. Mary's returns to action at Maryland-Eastern Shore on December 19 at 6 p.m.