Mount Women’s Basketball Clipped at Morgan State, 75-67

Mount Women’s Basketball Clipped at Morgan State, 75-67

Baltimore, Md. (November 26, 2017) – Morgan State held off a late comeback attempt from Mount St. Mary's University to register a 75-67 victory on Sunday afternoon in non-conference women's basketball action. Kayla Agentowicz paced the Mount with her second consecutive 20-point effort.

Agentowicz' team-high 20 points came on 7-of-12 shooting as she followed up her career-high 24-point output last time out at Fairfield. The sophomore drained a trio of three-pointers and pulled down a team-high six rebounds. Ashlee White posted 10 points and four assists, and Daly Sullivan added 10 points in her first career start.

For the Lady Bears, Lexus Spears posted a double-double with 22 points and 14 rebounds, while Adre-onia Coleman chipped in with 21 points and Braennan Farrar added 18.  

The Mount went 24-for-57 (.421) from the field and 9-for-24 (.375) from long range, compared to a 29-for-74 (.392) mark from Morgan State and a 2-for-10 (.200) clip from deep. The Lady Bears held a 48-39 advantage on the boards, which included 27 offensive rebounds.

Morgan State scored the first seven points of the contest before the Mount answered with an 8-2 run, propelled by three-pointers from Agentowicz and Katrice Dickson, to cut it to a one-point game.

The Lady Bears built their advantage to six points over the remainder of the frame to take a 22-16 lead into the second. Coleman and Farrar combined for 15 points in the quarter to pace Morgan State.

The Mount's defense stifled Morgan State through the opening five minutes of the second quarter, holding the Lady Bears to just four points during the stretch. Following the media timeout, Dickson knocked down a pair of free throws and Hunter Rowson followed with layup to bring the Mount within a point, 26-25.

Morgan State pushed its lead back to five later in the stanza, but the Mountaineers answered with six of the final eight points of the quarter, capped off by a Sullivan three-pointer in the final seconds, to tie the game at 34-all heading into the intermission.

The Mount held a 48-47 advantage with just over three minutes left in the third before the Lady Bears rattled off nine straight points, including five from Spears, to push the advantage to 57-48.

The Mountaineers were able to trim the deficit late, scoring five points in the final five seconds of the frame on a pair of free throws from Agentowicz and a buzzer-beating three from White, which brought them within four, 57-53, heading into the final quarter.

The Mount tied the game at 58-all at the 7:58 mark, but Morgan State responded with a 13-2 run over the ensuing six minutes to extend the lead to the largest of the game, 71-60, with under two minutes showing on the clock.

Mount St. Mary's fought back with seven straight points to jump back into the game. A three-pointer form Sullivan started the run, and Agentowicz capped it off with her third three of the contest to bring the Mount within just four, 71-67, with 50 seconds left.

Farrar was fouled on the next possession and made just one of two from the line, but the Lady Bears were able to force turnovers on the next two Mount possessions, and hit three foul shots down the stretch to secure the 75-67 victory.

The win evened Morgan State's record to 3-3 on the year, while the Mount fell to 0-5.

Mount St. Mary's returns to action at Lehigh on November 29 at 7 p.m.