Posted: Nov 08, 2017
ABOUT THE MOUNT
- The Mount St. Mary's University women's basketball team opens the 2017-18 campaign with a matchup at sixth-ranked Notre Dame on Saturday, November 11 at 1 p.m.
- The Mount defeated Notre Dame by a 57-44 margin in the only previous meeting between the two teams back in 1981 at the Penn Holiday Tournament.
- The Mountaineers are coming off a 12-18 overall record and 10-8 mark in Northeast Conference play last season as they reached the NEC playoffs for the sixth straight season.
- Maria Marchesano was named the Mount's new head coach on May 1, coming over after a season as an associate head coach at IUPUI. Marchesano has 79 combined wins in five seasons as a head coach at Urbana University and Walsh University.
- The Mount returns nine of 13 players and 57.7% of its scoring from last year's squad. Three starters from last year return in sophomore Ashlee White and seniors Katrice Dickson and Caroline Hummell. Hummell led the squad with 10.3 points per game and ranked second in rebounding with 5.2 per game. Dickson (7.4 ppg) and White (6.4 ppg) ranked fourth in fifth on the squad in scoring, respectively, and White topped the team in assists (1.7 apg).
- The Mountaineers brought in six new freshmen to help bolster this year's squad. Bridget Birkhead (Doylestown, Pa.), Rebecca Lee (Severn, Md.), Hunter Rowson (Upper Marlboro, Md.), Jatarrikah Settle (Odenton, Md.), Daly Sullivan (South Bend, Ind.) and Aryna Taylor (Ashland, Va.) each enter their rookie season in 2017-18.
- The Mount was picked to finish eighth in the Northeast Conference Coaches Poll for the second straight season. Last year, the Mountaineers outperformed their preseason ranking and finished as the No. 5 seed in the league.
- The Mount continues its road trip with a matchup at Xavier on Tuesday, November 14 at 7 p.m.