Carter Lifts Mount Women’s Basketball Past Fairleigh Dickinson, 75-71, in Overtime

Carter Lifts Mount Women’s Basketball Past Fairleigh Dickinson, 75-71, in Overtime

Hackensack, N.J. (February 18, 2017) – Senior Alexis Carter tallied a game-high 22 points, including seven in overtime, to lift Mount St. Mary's University past Fairleigh Dickinson, 75-71, on Saturday afternoon at the Rothman Center.

With the game all tied at 68-68 midway through the overtime period, Carter knocked down a three-pointer off a feed from Kayla Bates to put the Mount up by three. After a pair of Fairleigh Dickinson free throws on the other end cut the Mount lead to just one, Carter hit another three to extend the team's lead to 74-70 with just over a minute remaining.

The Mountaineers forced a stop on the Knights' next possession, and Ashlee White drained 1-of-2 from the foul line to pad the Mount's lead to five. FDU hit one free throw in the final 30 seconds, but wasn't able to overcome the deficit as the Mount came away with the 75-71 victory.

Carter led all scorers in the contest with 22 points on 7-of-14 shooting and a 5-of-9 mark from downtown, while also tallying six rebounds. Caroline Hummell added 14 points and Mikal Johnson chipped in with 12.

For Fairleigh Dickinson, Brianna Thomas led the way with 17 points and nine rebounds, and Courtney Blankenship registered 12 points.

After opening a 13-5 advantage at the end of the first quarter, Fairleigh Dickinson pushed the lead to 20-7 early in the second behind a 7-2 run to begin the period.

The Mount (10-16, 8-7 NEC) responded with eight straight points with the rally beginning at the midway point of the second quarter. Carter got things started by knocking down a three-pointer off a feed from Juliette Lawless. Lawless then followed with a layup in transition, and Carter capped it off with her second three-pointer to bring the Mount within three, 23-20.

A layup from Hummell with just over a minute remaining in the first half gave the Mount its first lead of the contest, 27-26. After FDU retook the lead on the next possession on a jumper from Lauren Francillon, Lawless found her way to the bucket for the go-ahead score, sending the Mount into the halftime break with a 29-28 advantage.

The Knights took the lead back early in the third frame, fueled by five quick points from Blankenship, but a layup from Johnson and three-point play by Hummell put the Mount back in front, 38-35, midway through the quarter.

Fairleigh Dickinson (8-18, 6-9 NEC) opened a four-point advantage late in the third, but the Mount whittled the deficit down before hitting 3-of-4 from the line in the final minute to grab a 46-45 lead heading into the final quarter.

Kayla Agentowicz hot the hot hand early in the fourth as the rookie knocked down a three-pointer from the wing and a mid-range jumper on ensuing possessions to extend the Mount's lead to 51-47.

Just under three minutes later, Katrice Dickson tallied five straight points for the Mount to extend the team's lead to 61-53, marking their largest advantage of the contest.

The Knights battled back and cut it to a one possession game, 64-61, with just under a minute remaining in regulation. Blankenship then knocked down a clutch three-pointer with 41 seconds left to tie things at 64-all.

On the other end, Ashlee White nearly converted a tough contested layup, but Fairleigh Dickinson was able to grab the rebound and call its last timeout with eight seconds left. The Mount forced a big stop in the defensive end as a game-winning three-point fell short, sending the teams into overtime.

The Mount shot 40.7-percent (22-54) in the contest and 43.5-percent (10-23) from downtown, compared to a 40.4-percent (23-57) mark from Fairleigh Dickinson and a 25-percent (6-24) clip from long range.

The Mount heads to Wagner for a matchup on Monday, February 20 at 7 p.m.