Mount St. Mary’s Four-Game Winning Streak Snapped at Robert Morris

Mount St. Mary’s Four-Game Winning Streak Snapped at Robert Morris

Moon Township, Pa. (February 13, 2017) – Robert Morris snapped Mount St. Mary's University's four-game winning streak on Monday night at the Sewall Center, topping the Mountaineers by a 70-58 final. Freshman Ashlee White led all scorers in the contest with a 19-point performance.  

The Mountaineers had defeated three of the top four teams in the conference during their four-game winning streak, but weren't able to keep the streak alive on Monday, dropping to 9-16 on the year and 7-7 in league play.

White went 8-of-10 from the field and a perfect 3-for-3 from long range as her 19 points nearly matched her career-high of 20 she set on Saturday in the win over Saint Francis U. White also tallied four assists for the second straight contest, tying her career high.

Nneka Ezeigbo paced the Colonials with a team-high 13 points of 7-of-8 shooting, while Megan Smith added 12 points and nine rebounds.

The Mount shot 42.9-percent (18-42) in the contest and 53.8-percent from downtown (7-13), while Robert Morris posted a 51-percent (25-49) mark from the floor and went 37.5-percent (6-16) from long range.

After a low scoring first quarter, the Mount got going early in the second as Kayla Agentowicz knocked down a three off the bench and White hit a long jumper to bring the Mountaineers within four, 15-11.

Robert Morris (16-9, 11-3 NEC) pushed its lead to seven midway through the second as Ezeigbo scored 12 straight points for the Colonials to extend their advantage to 25-18.

The Colonials heated up from long range in the final minutes of the half, ending the period on a 16-5 run over the final 4:55 as they drained four three-pointers during the stretch to head into the locker room with a 39-23 lead.

White led the Mount in the second period with a 12-point quarter as her and Agentowicz combined for all 17 of the Mount's points in the frame.

The Robert Morris defense stymied the Mountaineers for much of the third frame, holding them to just nine points before Carter hit a three from the corner to beat the buzzer. The Colonials went 7-of-10 from the floor in the stanza and took a 54-35 advantage into the final period.

After a pair of Robert Morris free throws to open the fourth, the Mount rattled off eight straight points to cut the deficit to 56-43 at the 6:41 mark. Carter opened the run with a three from the wing, and White followed by knocking down a mid-range jumper. The Mountaineers then hit 3-of-4 from the line on their next two possessions to bring them within 13.

The Mountaineers cut the RMU lead to 11 with 2:25 remaining in the contest, but they weren't able to pull within single-digits the rest of the way as the Colonials went on for the 70-58 victory.

The Mount continues its road swing with a matchup at Fairleigh Dickinson on February 18 at 2 p.m.