Carter’s Double-Double Fuels Mount St. Mary’s in 61-50 Win Over Fairleigh Dickinson

Carter’s Double-Double Fuels Mount St. Mary’s in 61-50 Win Over Fairleigh Dickinson

Emmitsburg, Md. (January 16, 2017) – Senior Alexis Carter registered her seventh career double-double with 18 points and 15 rebounds to fuel Mount St. Mary's University to a 61-50 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson in Northeast Conference women's basketball action on Monday night at Knott Arena.

Carter reached double-double territory in the first half, tallying 14 points and 10 boards in the opening two quarters, before adding four points and five rebounds in the second half of play to help the Mount close out the victory. Carter's strong performance came on the heels of a career-high 24 points last time out against Saint Francis U.

Ashlee White chipped in with 11 points as the rookie notched her second straight double-digit scoring performance, and Caroline Hummell helped pace the Mount with eight points and six rebounds.

Brianna Thomas tallied a double-double for Fairleigh Dickinson with 10 points and 13 rebounds, and Madelynn Comly added a team-high 14 points to go along with eight boards.

The Mount (4-13, 2-4 NEC) held FDU to just seven points in the opening quarter on 3-of-15 (.200) shooting to jump out to a 14-7 lead at the end of one. The Mount went on a mini 6-2 spurt in the beginning stages of the second to open its first double-digit lead of the contest, 19-9.

Fairleigh Dickinson (3-14, 1-5 NEC) closed the gap to just five, 20-15, midway through the second frame, but the Mount went on a 14-4 run to close out the half and extend its lead to the largest of the game, 34-19. After a Kayla Agentowicz layup began the rally, Carter scored nine of the team's next 10 points, including a pair of three-pointers, to ignite the run.

With just seconds remaining in the half, White went three-quarters court and finished with a layup to beat the buzzer and pad the Mount's lead to 15 heading into the halftime break.

The third quarter belonged to the Knights as they outscored the Mount by a 20-11 margin in the period. They tightened the gap to as little as two, 41-39, with just over a minute remaining in the third quarter following a big 20-7 run. White and Kathleen Belanger-Finn each knocked down a pair of free throws in the final minute to push the Mount's lead back to six, 45-39, with one quarter remaining.

The Knights hung within eight points through the opening three minutes of the final frame, and were able to cut it to five, 51-46, at the 3:36 mark. White responded by converting 1-of-2 from the line and hitting a layup on the ensuing possession to give the Mount some breathing room.

FDU whittled the Mount's lead down to five, 55-50, with 50 seconds remaining following a pair of foul shots from Kiana Brown, but that was as close as the Knights would get, as Hummell answered with a layup and the Mount made four free throws down the stretch to close out the 61-50 victory.  

The Mount is back in action for a pair of road contests at St. Francis Brooklyn (Jan. 21) and at Sacred Heart (Jan. 23).