Mount St. Mary's Women's Basketball Downed at Central Connecticut

Mount St. Mary's Women's Basketball Downed at Central Connecticut

New Britain, Conn. (January 9, 2017) -- Mount St. Mary's University hung tough with Central Connecticut, but wasn't able to hand the Blue Devils their first loss in league play, falling by a 68-58 margin in Northeast Conference women's basketball action on Monday night at Detrick Gymnasium.

With the win, CCSU improved to 5-10 overall and a perfect 4-0 in league play, while the Mount fell to 3-12 on the year and 1-3 in conference action.

Caroline Hummell registered 13 points for her 10th double-figure scoring night of the season and fourth in her last five contests. Mikal Johnson tallied 11 points and four rebounds, and Alexis Carter added eight points and a team-high seven rebounds.
Kiana Patterson of CCSU was the game's leading scorer with 20 points on 6-of-8 shooting and a perfect 3-for-3 mark from long range. Andi Lydon added 17 points and eight rebounds, and Sydney Hines chipped in with 10 points.

Central Connecticut went on an 8-2 run midway through the first period to open a 14-7 advantage at the 3:53 mark. The two teams traded buckets the rest of the way as the Blue Devils entered the second with a 20-13 lead.

The Mount put together a rally through the opening six-plus minutes of the second to cut the gap to 25-22 with 3:47 to play in the half, but Central Connecticut answered with a 12-6 run to close out the period, heading into the halftime break up by nine, 37-28.

Mount St. Mary's battled back in the third frame, outscoring the Blue Devils by a 17-13 margin. The period opened with six straight points from the Mountaineers as Katrice Dickson began the stretch with a pair of free throws, before Carter knocked down a three and Hummell hit one of two from the line to pull the Mount within three, 37-34.

The Mount hung within seven points for the remainder of the period, and Kayla Agentowicz hit a jumper in the final minute to cut the Blue Devil lead to 50-45 with one period to play.

The Mount trimmed it to six, 53-47, early in the fourth, but Central Connecticut responded with five straight in the next minute and a half to grab its largest lead of the contest, 58-47.

The Mountaineers whittled their deficit to seven at the 3:03 mark, but that's as close as they would get, eventually falling by a 68-58 final.

CCSU shot 40-percent from the field and 50-percent from downtown, compared to a 38.2-percent mark from the floor for the Mount and a 29.4-percent night from three-point land.

The Mount returns to Emmitsburg for a home tilt against Saint Francis U on January 14 at 1 p.m.