Late Comeback Falls Just Short as LIU Brooklyn Edges Mount St. Mary’s, 63-60, in Conference Opener

Late Comeback Falls Just Short as LIU Brooklyn Edges Mount St. Mary’s, 63-60, in Conference Opener

Brooklyn, N.Y. (December 29, 2016) – A Late fourth quarter comeback attempt fell just short as Mount St. Mary's University was edged by LIU Brooklyn, 63-60, in the Northeast Conference women's basketball opener on Thursday at the Steinberg Wellness Center. Senior Alexis Carter dropped 23 points and 15 rebounds in the contest to match her career highs in both categories.

Carter registered 12 of her game-high 23 points in the fourth quarter and went 9-for-15 from the field in the game. Her 23 points and 15 rebounds both equaled her previous career highs that she set a season ago. Caroline Hummell chipped in with 13 points and seven rebounds to register her eighth double-digit scoring performance of the season. Katrice Dickson was the other Mountaineer to reach double figures with 11 points to go along with a career-high four blocks, which all came in the opening quarter.

Shanovia Dove led LIU with 19 points and seven rebounds, while Aja Boyd added 15 points and eight boards.

After trailing for the majority of the first half, LIU put together a strong defensive effort in the third quarter, holding the Mount to just six points in the frame. The Blackbirds outscored the Mount by 11 in the period to take a 44-41 advantage heading into the fourth.

LIU (2-10, 1-0 NEC) opened its largest lead of the contest, 56-47, at the 3:37 mark of the fourth before the Mount battled back with a 10-2 run, propelled by five points from Carter, to pull within a point, 58-57, with just 1:43 remaining in the contest. Dove responded with a corner three and Boyd followed with a layup to push the Blackbird advantage to 63-57.

On the ensuing possession, Carter knocked down her third three-pointer of the game and there was a foul away from the ball, keeping the ball with the Mountaineers as they trailed 63-60 with nine seconds remaining. Mikal Johnson's game-tying three-point attempt came up just short on the next possession and the Blackbirds were able to run out the clock to escape with the 63-60 victory.

The Mountaineers, who led by three at the end of the opening quarter, took their largest lead of the first half late in the second period as Kathleen Belanger-Finn and Carter knocked down back-to-back three pointers to put the team ahead, 35-25, with just over a minute to play. Dove, who scored 10 of LIU's 13 points in the second, hit a layup in the final minute to cut the Blackbird deficit to 35-27 at the halftime break.

The Mount (2-10, 0-1 NEC) held the slight shooting advantage in the contest, going 23-of-57 (40.4-percent) from the field compared to a 22-of-55 (40-percent) mark from LIU. Mount St. Mary's also held the rebounding advantage in the contest, 39 to 29.

The Mount continues league play with a matchup against Wagner on December 31 at Knott Arena.  Tipoff is set for noon, and action can be seen for free at