Sarafina Arthur-Williams’ Late Three-Point Play Lifts Mount St. Mary’s Past Central Connecticut

Sarafina Arthur-Williams’ Late Three-Point Play Lifts Mount St. Mary’s Past Central Connecticut

New Britain, Conn. (February 22, 2016) – Sarafina Arthur-Williams' three-point play with just 14 seconds remaining lifted Mount St. Mary's women's basketball past Central Connecticut, 59-55, on Monday night as the Mount completed the season sweep of the Blue Devils.

Coming out of a timeout, Arthur-Williams received the inbounds pass, made a move towards the bucket and converted the layup while getting fouled to put the Mount up two. The senior knocked down the ensuing foul shot to push the Mount's lead to 58-55.

With a chance to tie on the next possession, Central Connecticut turned the ball over before fouling Katrice Dickson. Dickson made 1-of-2 from the line to extend the Mountaineer lead to 59-55 with just five seconds showing on the clock. Mount St. Mary's forced another Blue Devil turnover on the final possession to seal its sixth NEC victory of the season.  

Jessica Harris and Arthur-Williams led the Mount's offense with 25 points combined in the contest. Harris registered a team-high 13 on 6-of-9 shooting, while Arthur-Williams tallied 12, including the game-winning three-point play. Kayla Bates and Jody Chickey each added nine points, and Chickey also finished with six assists, marking the 11th time this season she's dished out five or more helpers.

Andi Lydon knocked down a trio of three-pointers for a team-high nine points for the Blue Devils, while Kayla Miller, TeJahne Malone and Nicole Ferguson each chipped in with eight points.

After an even first period, Mount St. Mary's opened a 24-16 lead at the 6:48 mark of the second after scoring the first eight points of the quarter. Stacey Koutris and Katrice Dickson each knocked down a three to lead the Mount's rally.

The Blue Devils cut their deficit to three, 24-21, in the ensuing minute of play, but an Arthur-Williams layup and three-pointer from Bates extended the Mountaineers' lead back to eight, 29-21.

A late 10-4 run by Central Connecticut, capped by an Aleah Epps three-pointer with 21 seconds left, cut the Mount St. Mary's lead to 33-31 heading into the halftime break. The Mount shot 6-of-14 from downtown against the Blue Devils' zone in the first half, led by a pair of threes from Bates.

Mount St. Mary's returns to action on Saturday, February 27 for a tilt at St. Francis Brooklyn at 1 p.m. With a victory, the Mount would clinch a spot in the Northeast Conference playoffs.