Mount Women’s Basketball Holds Off Central Connecticut for 54-48 Victory

Mount Women’s Basketball Holds Off Central Connecticut for 54-48 Victory

Emmitsburg, Md. (January 09, 2016) – Mount St. Mary's University held off Central Connecticut State for a 54-48 victory in Northeast Conference women's basketball action Saturday night at Knott Arena. Junior Alexis Carter paced the offense with a team-high 13 points as the Mountaineers earned their second straight win.

Bryan Whitten collected his 100th career victory at the helm of the Mountaineers and 320th overall as a Head Coach in the win. Whitten is the third coach in program history to reach the 100-win plateau, joining the program's all-time wins leader, Bill Sheahan (372 wins), and Vanessa Blair (120).

Carter went 4-of-9 from the field and also grabbed seven rebounds, while sophomore Jessica Harris and junior Kayla Bates chipped in 11 points apiece to help pace the offense. Harris finished just one rebound shy of a double-double as the forward tied her career-high with nine rebounds.

The Mountaineers posted season-highs in both field goal percentage (.500) and three-point percentage (.714) in the contest.

TeJahne Malone registered team-highs with 13 points and eight rebounds, and Kiana Patterson added 12 points to lead the Blue Devil offense on the night.

After outscoring Central Connecticut 19-10 in the first period, Mount St. Mary's pushed its advantage to 29-18 at the 3:42 mark of the second quarter for its biggest lead of the half. The Blue Devils responded with the game's next five points, but Mount St. Mary's answered back with the final five points of the half on layups from Jody Chickey and Carter and a free throw from Sarafina Arthur-Williams as the Mountaineers widened their lead to 34-23 heading into the break.

Mount St. Mary's and Central Connecticut went back-and-forth through the majority of the third period before the Mount went on an 8-3 run in the final two-plus minutes of the stanza. Carter and Kayla Bates combined for all eight Mountaineer points to fuel the late-period rally.

The Mount held onto its advantage through the early stages of the final quarter, but back-to-back buckets from Camden Musgrave and Malone cut the Mountaineers' lead to just four, 52-48, with 3:21 remaining in the contest.

Mount St. Mary's held Central Connecticut scoreless in the last 3:21 of play, and Harris knocked down a pair of free throws in the final 18 seconds to seal the 54-48 victory for the Mount.

The Mount wraps up its four-game home stand with an NEC matchup against Bryant on Monday, January 11. Tip-off from Knott Arena is scheduled for 4 p.m.