Mount St. Mary’s Tops NEC-Leading St. Francis Brooklyn in 85-79 Double Overtime Thriller

Mount St. Mary’s Tops NEC-Leading St. Francis Brooklyn in 85-79 Double Overtime Thriller

Emmitsburg, Md. (January 13, 2014) – The Mount St. Mary's women's basketball team prevailed with an 85-79 double-overtime victory over Northeast Conference leader St. Francis Brooklyn on Monday night at Knott Arena. Jacqueline Brewer scored six of her team-high 21 points in overtime to even the Mount's NEC record to 2-2.

In a game that featured 11 ties and 12 lead changes, the Mount (7-9, 2-2 NEC) scored the final seven points in the second overtime to erase a 79-78 deficit with 3:05 to go. The win over St. Francis Brooklyn (12-3, 3-1 NEC) avenges a 52-47 loss to the Terriers on Jan. 4 in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Playing in the program's first double overtime game since Jan. 6, 2007, the Mountaineers shot 44.6 percent from the field on 29-of-65 shooting, including a 56.5 percent clip from beyond the arc with 13 makes on 23 attempts. Along with Brewer's 21, Jessie Kaufman netted a season-high 19 points in 39 minutes off the bench, while Sydney Henderson notched 15 points, seven rebounds, six assists and five steals in 46 minutes.

The Terriers, which had won eight in a row entering Monday, received a double-double with 23 points and 11 rebounds from Eilidh Simpson. Simpson led four St. Francis players in double figures, including 16 from Jasmin Robinson with 10 coming in overtime.

The Mount was on the verge of beating the Terriers in regulation when Brewer's layup with 22.0 seconds left on the clock gave the home side a 61-59 advantage. St. Francis' Katie Fox answered with a jumper with nine seconds on the clock to send the game into overtime.

Moving into the first overtime, St. Francis built a five-point lead at 71-66 on a three-pointer from Leah Fechko with 1:58 to go. The Mount used a 9-0 stretch to take back the edge at 75-71 with just 29 seconds left in the first overtime. Robinson took over from there with a layup to cut her team's deficit to 75-73 and with 0.7 seconds to go, hit two clutch free throws to even the score at 75-75 and extend the game.

In the second OT, the Mount held the Terriers scoreless in the final 3:04 and limited St. Francis to just one field goal and two free throws. On the offensive side, the Mountaineers scored 10 points, including the last seven in the hard-fought victory. 

The Mount had its biggest lead of the night of 13 points at 30-17 with just under two minutes to go in the first half and took a 30-23 lead into halftime.

An 8-2 run midway through the second half allowed the Terriers to level the score at 44-44. Neither team led by more than five points the rest of the way with the teams tied at 61-61 at the end of regulation and 75-75 after the first overtime. 

The edge in bench scoring went to the Mount, 33-22, and the Mount won despite being outrebounded, 50-43. 

The Mount looks to make it two wins in a row with another home game versus Wagner on Saturday, Jan. 18, at 4:30 p.m.

GAME NOTES: The Mount moves to 5-2 at Knott Arena this season... The Mount leads the all-time series with St. Francis Brooklyn, 47-3.