Mount Women's Basketball Navigates Past Campbell, 68-64

Mount Women's Basketball Navigates Past Campbell, 68-64

Emmitsburg, Md. (November 23, 2013) – Two clutch free throws by Jody Chickey with 25.5 seconds left gave the Mount women's basketball team a 66-64 lead over Campbell before Sydney Henderson sealed a 68-64 win with two more free throws with 3.1 seconds to go at Knott Arena on Saturday afternoon.

The Mount (2-4) outscored Campbell (3-2) 7-0 in the final 1:14 to pick up its first home victory on the young season. Earlier in the half with the Mount trailing 56-47 with 6:45 on the second-half clock, the Mount went on a 12-2 run, overtaking the Camels at 59-58 with 2:52 to go to spark the Mount down the stretch.

Henderson, who nailed a game-tying three-pointer with 1:14 to play, scored a season-high 27 points to lead three Mount players in double figures. Another senior, Ashley Christie, also went for a season-best 14 points, while Chickey netted a career-high 13 in the victory.

For the third time this season, the Mount outrebounded its opponent, grabbing 31, including a career-high seven from Kaitlyn Eisenhard, to Campbell's 27.

After falling behind 9-2 2:40 into the game, hot shooting by the Mount with makes on their first three three-point attempts cut Campbell's lead to three at 14-11.

Chickey's jumper with 12:36 to go in the first half leveled the score at 14-14 before Chickey's layup on the next possession gave the Mount its first lead at 16-14.  The sophomore scored nine of her 13 points in the first half.

The Mount led by as many as four in the first half on a layup from Rachel Mathews for a 26-22 lead with 3:40 left in the half.

The Camels were able to close the half with a three-pointer by Kiera Gaines in the finals seconds, giving Campbell a 32-28 advantage going into the locker rooms. Gaines, who led Campbell with 18 points on the afternoon, scored 14 before halftime.

Campbell had the better of the play in the opening 15 minutes of the second half and built its lead up to as many as nine with just under seven minutes to play on Heather Beadle's jumper to put the score at 56-47.

The Mount began to chip away thanks to five second-half steals. A steal led to a breakaway layup by Henderson, cutting the deficit to 56-52 before Kaufman banked in a three-pointer to cut the margin to one point at 58-57 with 4:05 to go.

Campbell grew its lead back up to three points with 1:25 left at 64-61 until Henderson's make from distance tied the score at 64-64. As Campbell tried to respond on the other end, sophomore Jayla Leftwich took a charge to give the Mount the ball back. Chickey drove to the basket on the Mount's next possession and was fouled setting up her winning free throws.

The Mount, which had struggled shooting the ball last time out against Lehigh, regained its touch with 25-of-56 shooting for the game for a 44.6 percent clip.

Next up, the Mount heads to Pittsburgh, Pa. to take on Pitt on Tuesday, Nov. 26, at 7 p.m.

NOTES: The Mount improved to 1-1 at home this season… The Mount is 2-1 when outrebounding its opponents this season.