Fairleigh Dickinson Upends Women's Basketball In Overtime, 69-60

Fairleigh Dickinson Upends Women's Basketball In Overtime, 69-60

EMMITSBURG, Md. - Fairleigh Dickinson scored the final nine points in overtime to down Mount St. Mary's 69-60 in Northeast Conference (NEC) women's basketball action on Monday.

Jacqueline Brewer (Martinsburg, W. Va./Martinsburg) paced the Mount (5-8, 1-1 NEC) with a career-high 25 points and nine rebounds. Kayla Grossett (Toronto, Ontario/David and Mary Thompson C.I.) added 11 points and eight rebounds in the loss off the bench.

After Ashley Christie (Dayton, Ohio/Archbishop Alter) tied the game at 60 with 2:54 left in the extra session, the Knights (7-6, 2-0 NEC) scored the final nine points on the night. Torrie Childs gave Fairleigh Dickinson the lead for good on a jumper with 2:22 on the clock with a 62-60 advantage. Erika Livermore, who had a game-high 33 points and 18 rebounds, nailed two free throws at 1:41 before Danielle Pankey made it a six-point game with a basket in the paint with 67 seconds left. Desiree Crawford made 1 of 2 at the line and Livermore made two charity tosses in the final minute to seal the victory and end the Mount's five-game home NEC win streak.

Along with the big performance by Livermore, Pankey added 13 points in the winning effort.

Fairleigh Dickinson had control of the contest for the majority of the night, but had to play and extra session to earn the first road victory in the series by either team dating back to Jan. 8, 2008 when the Knights also won at Knott Arena. After that game, the home team had won on its home court in the next six meetings prior to Monday.

The first half was a seesaw battle with the Mountaineers taking the lead twice for the only times in the game. With the game tied at 9, Grossett nailed a jumper with 11:46 left in the half to give Mount St. Mary's an 11-9 edge. Amanda Andrades retook the edge for the Knights on a trey at 11:07 only to see Brewer nail one of her own at 9:55 to give the Mount the lead for the final time at 14-12.

With the score tied at 17, Fairleigh Dickinson used a 9-2 spurt to grab a 26-19 lead with 2:53 left in the first half thanks to four points by Pankey. Mount St. Mary's trimmed it to 28-27 after Christie and Grossett each had three points in the run, but Miah Registered gave the Knights a 30-27 lead going into the locker room on a jumper with nine ticks remaining. 

Fairleigh Dickinson grabbed a six-point lead three times in the second half, but each time the Mountaineers had an answer. The Knights took a 56-51 lead with 2:43 left before Mount St. Mary's closed the game on a 7-2 run to send the game into overtime.  Brewer scored five unanswered points to start the run on a trey at 1:55 and by converting two free throws at 1:05. After Livermore regained the lead for the visitors on two from the line with 46 ticks left, Grossett evened the score at 58 on two at the line with 20 seconds remaining. Fairleigh Dickinson had a pair of chances in the final seconds, but the game went into overtime with the Knights coming away with the victory.

It was the fifth time under head coach Bryan Whitten the Mount has gone to overtime and the first time since falling 62-61 at Saint Francis on Feb. 28, 2011. The Mount is now 1-4 in overtime games under Whitten. The game also marked the first overtime game at Knott Arena since Dec. 8, 2006 against William & Mary.

Christie finished the game with  with a season-high eight points, five rebounds and two assists in 34 minutes of action. Christie played in her fourth game since missing the start of the season due to injury. 

Mount St. Mary's returns to action against LIU Brooklyn at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., on Saturday. Game time is 12 p.m.