Emmitsburg, Md. (March 23, 2019) - The Mount St. Mary's men's and women's tennis teams downed St. Francis Brooklyn on Saturday afternoon. The Mountaineers men's squad topped the Terriers 6-1 and the Mountaineers women's squad edged the Terriers 4-3. For the Mount men, Jackson Wood, Parth Sharma, and Alonso Garcia led the team with singles and doubles wins on the match. Alexa Quintanilla, Hannah Davis, and Taylor Cook led the Mount St. Mary's women with wins in singles and doubles play.
The Mount men clinched the match win after they took the number one, four, and two singles flights to give them four match points. Mount St. Mary's also won the fifth and sixth flights as well that gave them six match points. Jackson Wood and Parth Sharma help down the first and second flight as Wood topped Ridruejo 6-2, 6-3 while Sharma edged by Dirube 4-6, 6-4, 6-2. Alonso Garcia, Jean Armstrong, and Evan Hine each won in their respective flights. Garcia downed Couso 6-4, 6-1, Armstrong defeated Blasco-Torres 6-0, 3-6, 10-7, and Hine topped Gmijovic 6-0, 6-1. Gabriel Santos battled in a tough match that went to the tie-breaker third set but he was edged by Artiz 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 for St. Francis Brooklyn's lone point of the match.
In doubles competition, the duos of Sharma/Wood and Garcia/Santos earned victories in the first and second flights to give the Mount the point from doubles action. Sharma/Wood topped Artiz/Ridruejo 6-2 while Garcia/Santos edged Blasco-Torres/Grant Couis 6-4.
In singles action, the Mount St. Mary's women's team clinched the match win after they picked up victories in the number one, number three, and number four flights that gave them four match points. Alexa Quintanilla topped Nakoo 6-3, 6-4 in the first flight, Hannah Davis downed Orozco 6-2, 6-0 in the number two flight, and Taylor Cook defeated Cetina 6-2, 6-1 in the third flight. Megan Smith and Mia Pittman forced a third tie-breaker set in a hard fought battle in the second and fifth flights but fell just short.
Mount St. Mary's took the point from doubles competition after they won all three flights. Quintanilla/Davis topped Patro/Orozco 6-3, Emma Blake/Smith downed Cetina/Polo 6-1, and Cook/Pittman defeated Nakoo/Rudinovic 6-1.
The Mountaineers women are in action tomorrow, March 24 when they host a match against George Mason at 10 AM. The Mount men's squad is back in action next Sunday, March 31 when they welcome Fairleigh Dickinson for a dual match at 2 PM.
Men: Mount St. Mary's 6, St. Francis Brooklyn 1
1. Jackson Wood (MSMM) def. Alejandro Ridruejo (SFB) 6-2,6-3
2. Parth Sharma (MSMM) def. Tomas Dirube (SFB) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Guillermo Artiz (SFB) def. Gabriel Santos (MSMM) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
4. Alonso Garcia (MSMM) def. Facundo Couso (SFB) 6-4, 6-1
5. Jean Armstrong (MSMM) def. Pablo Blasco-Torres (SFB) 6-0, 3-6, 10-7
6. Evan Hine (MSMM) def. Stefan Gmijovic (SFB) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: (1,4,3,2,6,5)
1. Sharma/Wood (MSMM) def. Artiz/Ridruejo (SFB) 6-2
2. Garcia/Santos (MSMM) def. Blasco-Torres/Grant Couis (SFB) 6-4
3. Dirube/Couso (SFB) def. Hine/Armstrong (MSMM) 6-4
Order of finish: (1,3,2)
Women: Mount St. Mary's 4, St. Francis Brooklyn 3
1. Alexa Quintanilla (MSMW) def. Jean Nakoo (SFB) 6-3, 6-4
2. Runsi Patro (SFB) def. Megan Smith (MSMW) 7-5, 3-6, 10-8
3. Hannah Davis (MSMW) def. Ana Orozco (SFB) 6-2, 6-0
4. Taylor Cook (MSMW) def. Sheila Cetina (SFB) 6-2, 6-1
5. Sandra Siles Polo (SFB) def. Mia Pittman (MSMW) 6-1, 5-7, 11-9
6. Martina Rudinovic (SFB) def. Emma Blake (MSMW) 8-6
Order of finish: (4,3,1,2,6,5)
1. Quintanilla/Davis (MSMW) def. Patro/Orozco (SFB) 6-3
2. Blake/Smith (MSMW) def. Cetina/Polo (SFB) 6-1
3. Cook/Pittman (MSMW) def. Nakoo/Rudinovic (SFB) 6-1
Order of finish: (2,3,1)
Mount St. Mary's Men (2-12) Mount St. Mary's Women (1-11)
St. Francis Brooklyn Men (1-9) St. Francis Brooklyn Women (2-9)