Emmitsburg, Md. (March 20, 2019) - The Mount St. Mary's men's and women's tennis teams were topped by Hofstra on Wednesday afternoon. The Mount men and women were each defeated 5-2 by the Pride. Freshman Taylor Cook picked up another singles and doubles flight win to lead the Mountaineer women. Cook teamed with Sophomore Mia Pittman in the third doubles flight to get the win. The junior duo of Alexa Quintanilla and Hannah Davis recorded another doubles flight win on the season. For the men, sophomore Jackson Wood and junior Gabriel Santos led the squad with wins in singles competition.
Jackson Wood returned from injury for the Mount and he picked right up where he left off by grabbing a win in the number one singles flight. Wood edged Hofstra's Marcus Smith 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 in a tough battle that went all three sets. In the number three flight, Gabriel Santos picked up the only other point in the match for the Mountaineers after he defeated Coco Haener 6-4, 7-5. After Mount St. Mary's tied the match at 2-2 with wins in the first and third flights, the Pride clinched the victory after they pulled out wins in the fourth and fifth flights.
In doubles action, Hofstra completed the clean sweep of doubles flights after they took all three flights. The Pride won the point from doubles after they won the number three and number two flights.
In singles competition, Hofstra took all of the flights except for the number four flight that earned them the match victory. The Pride collected all of their flight wins by just two sets on the day and clinched the victory after Ana-Canahuate Torres topped Emma Blake in the number six flight. The Mountaineers' Taylor Cook defeated Sarah Catherine Herndon 7-5, 6-3 in the fourth flight for the Mount's lone singles point of the match.
Mount St. Mary's earned the point from doubles competition after they won the number one and the number three flights. Alexa Quintanilla teamed with Hannah Davis in the first flight to defeat Alejandra Ruffini and Katherine Kachkaroz 6-4. In the third flight, Taylor Cook and Mia Pittman downed Ronia Deolabay and Odessa Stork 6-3.
The Mount men's and women's tennis teams battle St. Francis Brooklyn for a Northeast Conference dual matchup in Emmitsburg, Md. on Saturday, March 23 at 4 PM.
Men: Hofstra 5, Mount St. Mary's 2
1. Jackson Wood (MSMM) def. Marcus Smith (Hofstra) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
2. Shawn Jackson (Hofstra) def. Parth Sharma (MSMM) 6-2, 7-5
3. Gabriel Santos (MSMM) def. Coco Haener (Hofsta) 6-4, 7-5
4. Jan Eithner (Hofstra) def. Alonso Garcia (MSMM) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Giacomo Pezzoli (Hofstra) def. Jean Armstrong (MSMM) 6-1, 6-0
6. Julien Wolfe (Hofstra) def. Evan Hine (MSMM) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: (2,1,3,4,5,6)
1. Jackson/Haener (Hofstra) def. Sharma/Wood (MSMM) 6-4
2. Smith/Eithner (Hofstra) def. Garcia/Santos (MSMM) 6-2
3. Pezzoli/ Ryan Hardin (Hofstra) def. Hine/Armstrong (MSMM) 6-2
Order of finish: (3,2,1)
Women: Hofstra 5, Mount St. Mary's 2
1. Alejndra Ruffini (Hofstra) def. Alexa Quintanilla (MSMW) 6-3. 1-0
2. Jasmine King (Hofstra) def. Megan Smith (MSMW) 6-3, 6-0
3. Katherine Kachkarov (Hofstra) def. Hannah Davis (MSMW) 6-2, 6-2
4. Taylor Cook (MSMW) def. Sarah Catherine Herndon (Hofstra) 7-5, 6-3
5. Odessa Stork (Hofstra) def. Mia Pittman (MSMW) 6-2, 6-0
6. Ana Canahuate-Torres def. Emma Blake (MSMW) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: (2,1,3,6,5,4)
1. Quintanilla/Davis (MSMW) def. Ruffini/Kachkarov (Hofstra) 6-4
2. Catherine Herndon/King def. Blake/Smith (MSMW) 6-1
3. Cook/Pittman (MSMW) def. Ronia Deolabay/Stork (Hofstra) 6-3
Order of finish: (2,3,1)
Mount St. Mary's Men (1-12) Mount St. Mary's Women (0-11)
Hofstra Men (10-4) Hofstra Women (9-6)