Gavin Shirley Scores First Career Goal in Mount’s 1-1 Draw with Howard

Gavin Shirley Scores First Career Goal in Mount’s 1-1 Draw with Howard

Emmitsburg, Md. (September 12, 2018) – The Mount St. Mary's men's soccer team played to a 1-1 draw with Howard on Wednesday night in non-conference action at Waldron Family Stadium. Freshman Gavin Shirley scored his first collegiate goal for the Mount's lone tally of the match.

 "In the end, I thought we played a very clean first half. We weren't able to get that second goal, which I thought was very important, especially if we could have got that before halftime. Credit to Howard in the second half, they really were pushing for a goal and they were able to get a scrappy one to tie it up … Playing with a man advantage at the end there, we need to learn to possess the ball and make them move around, and make the most of our opportunities," said Head Coach Bryan Cunningham.

 Shirley got the Mount out to an early lead in the contest with his goal in the 10th minute of play. The rookie sent a thru ball to Yann Kouemi that was broken up by Howard goalie Carlos Caro on a slide. The ball took a fortunate bounce right back to Shirley inside the box, and he headed it home to give the Mount a 1-0 advantage.

The teams played a scoreless final 35 minutes of the half, as the Mountaineers took their lead into the break. The Mount carried play in the opening half and outshot the Bison by a 5-1 margin.

Howard was able to even the score in the 63rd minute on Victor Guirma's third goal of the season. Andres Gomez fired a long shot from around 30 yards out that was stopped by a diving Bobby Edwards. The rebound trickled right to Guirma on the doorstep, and the senior slid it into the empty net to knot things at 1-1.

Howard's Matteo Turner was carded for the second time of the match with 12:28 remaining in regulation, forcing the Bison to play a man down. The Mount wasn't able to capitalize on the advantage in the final 12-plus minutes, as the game headed to overtime.

The Mount (0-3-2) and Howard (1-2-1) combined for five shots in the pair of extra periods, but neither team could find the game-winner, resulting in a 1-1 draw.

The teams finished even in shots (10-10), and Howard held a 6-1 advantage on corners.

Edwards and Caro each made three saves in goal in the contest.

The Mountaineers remain at home for their next match as they welcome in Army on Saturday, September 15 for a 7 p.m. kickoff.