Mount St. Mary’s Men’s Soccer Clipped by Rutgers on Friday Night

Mount St. Mary’s Men’s Soccer Clipped by Rutgers on Friday Night

Emmitsburg, Md. (August 31, 2018) – The Mount St. Mary's men's soccer team was clipped by Rutgers, 2-0, on Friday night despite multiple solid scoring chances throughout the match. The Mount fell to 0-3 on the young season, while Rutgers improved to 1-2 with the victory.

The Mount had the game's first true scoring opportunity just minutes into the match. Miguel Lucero received a pass and worked his way deep into the box just yards away from goal, but wasn't able to get a shot off as he was steered off by a defender before the ball was cleared out of danger.

With 12:20 left in the first half, the Mount had another golden chance to grab the lead. Obi Onuoha corralled the ball in the attacking end and flicked it over the last defender for a clear path to goal. Onuoha's last touch inside the box was just a bit long, and goalie Rafael Pereira came off his line to scoop up the ball on a dive and end the scoring threat.

Rutgers capitalized late in the first half to take a 1-0 advantage on Miles Franklyn's first goal of the season. Thomas DeVizio sent a long ball the far side of the box where Vincenzo Pugliese headed it towards goal. Mount St. Mary's keeper Bobby Edwards made a diving save on the header, but Franklyn picked up the rebound right on the doorstep and finished into the empty net for the first tally of the match.

Just minutes into the second half of play, Yann Kouemi nearly notched the game-tying goal for the Mount. The freshman picked up a loose ball at the top of the box and rifled a lefty shot that whistled just wide of the far post.

In the 69th minute, Kyle Galloway registered his first goal of the year to give the Scarlet Knights a 2-0 lead. A failed clearance by the Mount landed on the foot of Brian Hawkins 25 yards from goal. Hawkins sent a perfectly placed ball that Galloway ran onto and volleyed into the back of the net for the score.

Late in the contest, the Mountaineers had another golden chance to cut into the lead. Andrew Robbins forced a turnover near midfield and found a streaking Andrew Lasso over the top. Lasso lofted a shot over Pereira, who had come charging off his line, but the shot went just over the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

Rutgers outshot the Mount by a 10-6 margin in the contest and held a slight 5-4 advantage on corners.

Pereira posted the shutout to grab his first win of the year. His counterpart, Bobby Edwards, made three in goal for the Mount.

The Mountaineers head to Washington, D.C. for their next game against American University on September 7 at 5 p.m.