Men’s Lacrosse Drops NEC Semifinal Matchup to Robert Morris in Overtime

Men’s Lacrosse Drops NEC Semifinal Matchup to Robert Morris in Overtime

Emmitsburg, Md. (May 2, 2019) – Fourth-seeded Robert Morris scored the final six goals of the contest, including Tyson Gibson's game winner just over two minutes into overtime, to come from behind and knock off top-seeded Mount St. Mary's by a 13-12 margin in the Northeast Conference (NEC) Men's Lacrosse Semifinals on Thursday night at Waldron Family Stadium.

The Mountaineers, who claimed their second NEC Regular Season Title in program history after a 5-1 mark in league play this season, close out the year with a 9-7 overall record, which marks the most wins for the team since the 2011 campaign.

Robert Morris improved to 8-7 overall with the victory and will play for the NEC Tournament Title on Saturday, May 4 against Hobart at 4 p.m.

The Mount's Brenden McCarthy notched a season-high five goals to lead all scorers in the contest, while Chris DiPretoro (2g, 1a) and Jack Mangan (1g, 1a) also finished with multi-point efforts. DiPretoro rounds out his Mount St. Mary's career tied for sixth in program history in goals (124) and 15th in points (153). Mangan closes out his career as the Mount's all-time leader in caused turnovers (74), while ranking sixth in ground balls (205).

Mount goalie Dylan Furnback, the 2019 NEC Defensive Player of the Year, finished with 16 saves, including seven in an impressive third quarter of play.

For Robert Morris, Corson Kealey led the way with five points on four goals and one assist. Gibson, the NEC's Offensive Player of the Year, added two goals and one helper.

Alex Heger posted a 14-save performance to pick up his eighth win of the year between the pipes for the Colonials.

The Mount and RMU were deadlocked at 7-7 early in the third quarter before a dominating stretch from the Mountaineers propelled them out to a five-goal advantage. DiPretoro fueled the rally, scoring both of his goals during the stretch while also assisting on Brendan Doyle's tally. McCarthy capped things of with his fifth score of the game at the 1:42 mark to make it five straight Mount St. Mary's goals and push the lead to 12-7.

The Colonials were able to close the gap with two goals in the final 1:24 of the period, including Gibson's goal with just three seconds remaining, which brought RMU back within three heading into the final quarter.

An early goal from Brad McCulley in the fourth made it a two-goal game, and Kealey followed with his fourth score of the tilt minutes later to cut the deficit to just one, 12-11.

With under a minute remaining in regulation, RMU netted the game-tying goal as Jake Boudreau found Brandon Sulhoff for the score, which knotted things up with 39 seconds on the clock.

The ensuing face-off was won by the Mount's Sam Stephan, but RMU's Daniel Smith forced a turnover and got possession back for the Colonials. Sulhoff and Gibson both made bids for the game winner in the final seconds, but neither could find the back of the net as the game headed to overtime.

The opening face-off of overtime went to RMU, but Bryan McIntosh quickly forced a turnover and picked up the ground ball to give possession back to the Mount. The Mountaineers worked the ball to into the offensive end, and Luke Frankeny fired a shot that was ticketed for the upper right corner, but Heger turned it away with a tremendous stop.

RMU then had its shot on offense, and Gibson came through for the Colonials as he curled his way from behind the net and tucked a low shot past Furnback for the game-winning score to send the Colonials off with the 13-12 overtime victory and push them into the NEC Championship Game.

The Championship from Waldron Family Stadium between No. 4 seed Robert Morris and No. 2 seed Hobart on May 4 at 4 p.m. will be streamed on both and ESPN3.