McCarthy and DiPretoro Combine for 13 Points, McMahon Tallies Late Game Winner in Victory at Utah

McCarthy and DiPretoro Combine for 13 Points, McMahon Tallies Late Game Winner in Victory at Utah

Salt Lake City, Utah (April 6, 2019) – Brenden McCarthy and Chris DiPretoro combined for 13 points to power the Mount St. Mary's offense, and rookie Jared McMahon scored the game winner with just 1:40 remaining, as the Mountaineers pulled out a 16-15 victory at Utah on Saturday afternoon.

McCarthy's four goals and four assists both marked season highs for the junior, as he led all point scorers in the contest. DiPretoro also set a new season high with five goals while recording his eighth multi-goal performance in the last nine contests.

Jack Mangan, whose only two face-off attempts of his career entering the game came back during his freshman campaign, won 17-of-22 face-offs and picked up 12 ground balls filling in for an injured Sam Stephan. The senior also scored one goal and added three assists.

Dylan Furnback made six saves in the game to come away with his seventh victory of the season.

Mount St. Mary's (7-5) won 24-of-34 face-offs on the afternoon, led by Mangan's dominance at the X. Shawn Raum also excelled, going 7-of-12.

For Utah (4-8), James Sexton led the way with seven points on three goals and four helpers. Jimmy Perkins, a transfer from Robert Morris, added four goals and two assists.

Liam Donnelly took the loss in goal for the Utes despite a 16-save effort.

The Mount got the scoring started as DiPretoro found the back of the cage off a feed from Zach Roberts just under three minutes into the contest. The Utes controlled play from there as they scored the game's next six goals, including a pair on man-up opportunities, to open a 6-1 advantage late in the quarter.

With under a minute left in the opening frame, McCarthy made a nice move to beat a defender behind the net and score to cut the Mount's deficit to 6-2.

Perkins and DiPretoro traded goals early in the second quarter before the Utes rattled off two consecutive from Jake Canton and Perkins to make it a 9-3 game midway through the period.

The Mountaineers answered with three straight goals in a span of 48 seconds to pull back within three. DiPretoro's third of the game started the rally, and Mangan followed with a man-up goal just 37 seconds later. On the ensuing face-off, long stick middie Shawn Milione forced a turnover and took it up field before firing a deep shot past Donnelly to make it a 9-6 game. The goal was the first of Milione's career.

After a tally from Utah's Aaron Fjeldsted with 1:29 left in the half, the Mount got goals from McCarthy and Joe Bethke in the final 41 seconds to cut the deficit to 10-8 heading into the halftime break.

The Mountaineers trailed by three late in the third quarter before they rattled off four goals in the last 2:30 of the period to take their first lead since the opening goal of the game. Brendan Doyle's rifle with 12 seconds on the clock tied things up at 12-12. On the next face-off, Mangan picked up the loose ball and found Bethke in front of net, where he finished it off to put the Mount on top 13-12.

DiPretoro netted his fifth goal of the contest early on in the fourth quarter to put the Mount up by a pair, but Utah responded with the game's next three goals, including two by Josh Stout, to retake a 15-14 advantage with 7:04 remaining.

Heading under the five-minute mark, McCarthy beat a defender and went five-hole on Donnelly just before the shot clock expired for his fourth goal of the contest. The tally knotted things up at 15-15.

With just over two minutes remaining in the contest, Evan Falkowski picked up a key ground ball and pushed it ahead to the offensive end. The Mount worked the ball over to Jared McMahon, who made a move towards the middle and fired one past Donnelly for the go-ahead score with 1:40 left.

Mangan won the ensuing face-off and the Mountaineers used up the entire shot clock, giving the ball back to Utah with 15 seconds remaining. The Utes had an opportunity to tie the game, but Sexton wasn't able to get a clean shot away before time expired, and the Mount came away with the 16-15 win.

Mount St. Mary's resumes Northeast Conference action with a matchup at Wagner on April 13 at 1 p.m.