Doyle Nets Game Winner with 27 Seconds Left as Mount St. Mary’s Pulls Off Comeback Win Over Mercer

Doyle Nets Game Winner with 27 Seconds Left as Mount St. Mary’s Pulls Off Comeback Win Over Mercer

Emmitsburg, Md. (March 8, 2019) – Junior midfielder Brendan Doyle netted the game-winning goal with 27 seconds remaining as Mount St. Mary's came back from a four-goal deficit in the second half to beat Mercer, 9-8, on Friday afternoon for the team's third straight victory.

Coming off a thrilling win over 14th-ranked Richmond last time out, the Mountaineers trailed Mercer by a 6-2 margin entering the second half after a slow start to the game. Despite firing off 26 shots in the opening half, the Mount was held to just a pair of goals as Mercer net minder Josh Tarver made 10 saves in the half.

Chris DiPretoro registered his second goal of the contest early in the third quarter to get things going for the Mountaineers. From there, Brendan McCarthy helped ignite the Mount off the bench, playing a part in three of the team's final four goals of the period. McCarthy assisted on Luke Frankeny's tally at the 11:39 mark, and after a goal from Mercer's Michael Quinn, McCarthy scored two of the next three goals for the Mountaineers as they tied the game at 7-7 late in the third quarter.

The Mount took its first lead of the game at the 11:00 mark of the fourth period on Frankeny's second goal of the tilt. The sophomore beat a defender and fired a lefty rocket from a tough angle into the top shelf to give the Mountaineers an 8-7 advantage.

Both teams were held off the board for the ensuing 10 minutes of play until Quinn was able to beat Dylan Furnback with just 1:03 remaining to tie things back up at 8-all.

On the face-off following the goal, Ashton Wood was called for a violation, giving possession to the Mountaineers. As the clock dipped under 30 seconds, Doyle put a move on a Mercer defender and fired a shot just inside the left pipe to put the Mount back on top, 9-8, with 27 seconds remaining.

Sam Stephan came up with a clean face-off win after the go-ahead goal to seal the victory for the Mountaineers, who improved to 3-4 on the year. The loss dropped Mercer to 0-6 overall.

DiPretoro, McCarthy and Joe Bethke led the way for the Mount with three points (2g, 1a) apiece, while Frankeny also added two goals in the tilt. Jack Mangan contributed five ground balls and four caused turnovers, and Sam Stephan went 10-of-21 on face-offs while picking up five ground balls. Furnback earned his third win in goal with a nine-save performance.

Quinn netted a game-high three goals to lead the Bears and Nick Rockefeller recorded a pair. Wood went 11-of-21 on face-offs and grabbed eight ground balls. Tarver made 16 saves in goal for Mercer.

The Mount fired off a season-high 50 shots in the game, while Mercer finished with 37.

Mount St. Mary's heads to Johns Hopkins for a road test on Tuesday, March 12 at 7 p.m. The game will be streamed live on, and will also air on ESPNU on Wednesday at 5 p.m.