Strong Fourth Quarter Powers No. 20 Georgetown Past Mount St. Mary’s

Strong Fourth Quarter Powers No. 20 Georgetown Past Mount St. Mary’s

Emmitsburg, Md. (February 26, 2019) – Mount St. Mary's held a one-goal lead over 20th-ranked Georgetown heading into the final period, but the Hoyas outscored the Mountaineers by a 4-1 margin in the fourth to come out on top, 13-11, on Tuesday afternoon at Waldron Family Stadium.

Five different Mountaineers registered multi-point efforts in the contest, led by three points apiece from Matt Haggerty (3g), Joe Bethke (2g, 1a), Chris DiPretoro (2g, 1a), and Jared McMahon (1g, 2a). Brendan Doyle also added one goal and one assist.

Sophomore goalie Dylan Furnback made a season-high 13 saves for the Mount to record his third double-digit save performance in the opening four games.

Jake Carraway paced the Hoyas with a game-high six points on four goals and a pair of assists. Robert Clark chipped in four points (2g, 2a), and Daniel Bucaro and Massimo Bucci each netted three goals. James Reilly won 16-of-27 face-offs, and Zachary Geddes picked up a game-high eight ground balls.

Chris Brandau, who replaced Owen McElroy for the final 28-plus minutes of action in the Georgetown cage, made four saves to earn the victory in his first collegiate appearance.

The victory pushed No. 20 Georgetown to 3-1 to open the year, while the Mountaineers fell to 0-4.

Mount St. Mary's scored three of the opening four goals in the contest, as Doyle, Haggerty and DiPretoro each converted once, to give the Mount a 3-1 advantage at the 6:22 mark.

The teams traded two goals apiece in the ensuing four minutes of action, and Georgetown capitalized with just seven seconds left in the period on Clark's second tally, which cut the Mount lead to 5-4 at the end of the first.

Bucaro and Carraway registered back-to-back goals to begin the second, giving the Hoyas their first lead of the contest, 6-5, with 10:28 on the clock. The Mountaineers outscored the Hoyas by a 3-2 margin over the final eight and a half minutes of the frame, as the game headed into the halftime break knotted up at 8-8.

Tucker Gilman notched the first goal of the third quarter less than a minute in, but the Mount held the Hoyas off the board for the remainder of the period while DiPretoro and Jared McMahon each found the back of the net to give Mount St. Mary's a 10-9 advantage heading into the fourth.

Bucci converted off a feed from Clark at the 12:34 mark of the fourth to tie things at 10-all. Under a minute later, Lucas Wittenberg found Carraway for the go-ahead goal for Georgetown. The Hoyas continued their momentum with goals from Bucaro and Carraway in the ensuing three minutes to push their advantage to 13-10 with 8:14 remaining.

Luke Frankeny cut the deficit to a pair with his goal off a feed from Jared McMahon at the 6:33 mark, but Georgetown was able to hold off the Mount in the final minutes and close out the 13-11 victory.

Mount St. Mary's next heads to VMI for a matchup on March 2 at 3:30 p.m.