Apr 27, 2018
- Prior to Sunday's game against Bryant, Mount St. Mary's will honor Mike Moynihan, Daniel Barber, C.J. Ciserano, Kyle Maxey, Brian Reilly, Matt Vierheller, and Bennett Zaba with a pregame ceremony as part of Senior Day. The seven players in this year's class have combined to play in 208 games with the Mountaineers in their careers.
ABOUT THE MOUNT
- The Mountaineers own a 1-4 mark in conference play and a 4-9 overall record, as they enter the final game of the regular season one game out of a playoff spot. For the Mountaineers to secure a spot in the NEC Playoffs, they need a win over Wagner on Saturday, paired with a Hobart victory over Sacred Heart -- with Hobart scoring at least 16 goals and Sacred Heart scoring at least nine in that contest (due to tiebreakers involving goals against).
- Last time out, the Mount wasn't able to slow down Saint Joseph's as the Hawks posted a 14-7 victory to collect their ninth straight win and remain unbeaten in NEC play. Chris DiPretoro and Matt Haggerty netted two goals each and Henry Berg contributed three assists to lead Mount St. Mary's on the day. Matt Vierheller earned the start in goal, stopping a season-high 13 shots and registering a .481 save percentage.
- DiPretoro has been on a torrid streak since the start of league play, recording multi-goal games in all five contests thus far. The junior attack was held under three goals for the first time since early March last time out at Saint Joseph's. DiPretoro currently ranks 15th in Mount program history in career goals (85), and 23rd in points (106).
- Rookie faceoff specialist Sam Stephan continues to impress in his first season with the Mountaineers. Stephan's faceoff percentage of .544 is tied for 12th-best in a season in program history, while his 106 ground balls are ninth-most. The Millstone, N.J. native has posted a faceoff percentage of .500 or better in nine of 13 contests on the year.
- Mount St. Mary's has had tremendous success in the all-time series against Wagner, winning 15 of the first 17 meetings, which includes a perfect 9-0 mark in Emmitsburg. The Seahawks did however register a 9-6 win in the meeting between the two teams last season behind five points (4g, 1a) from Andrew Streilein and 13 saves from Matt Sefcik. Jack Mangan (3g) and Ryan Lamon (2g, 1a) led the Mount in the tilt with three points apiece, while Vierheller made 13 saves in the cage.
- Goals: DiPretoro (34), Mastro (22), McCarthy (19)
- Assists: McCarthy (23), Berg (11), Haggerty (9)
- Points: McCarthy (42), DiPretoro (41), Mastro (26)
- Ground balls: Stephan (106), Mangan (48), McIntosh (37)
- Caused turnovers: Mangan (20), McIntosh (17), Davies (12)
- Faceoffs: Stephan (173-318, (54.4%) Ulrich (11-26, 42.3%)
- Save percentage: Mutterer (.456), Furnback (.430), Vierheller (.415)
- The Seahawks are still looking for their first win in conference play this season, sitting at 0-5 in the NEC and 4-9 overall. In their most recent contest, the Seahawks dropped a 15-5 decision to 17th-ranked Robert Morris.
- Andrew Streilein leads Wagner in all three scoring categories this season with 21 goals, 12 assists and 33 points. Goalie Matt Sefcik owns a .592 save percentage and is yielding 9.60 goals per contest in 13 games between the pipes.
- The Northeast Conference Playoffs are set for May 3 and 5 at the home of the No. 1 seed.