Apr 20, 2018
ABOUT THE MOUNT
- The Mountaineers collected a key victory this past Saturday over Hobart, 15-14, to hold their footing and stay within striking distance of a playoff spot. The Mount is 4-8 overall on the year, and is tied for fifth in the conference with a 1-3 mark, sitting just one game out of playoff position.
- In the win over Hobart, Brenden McCarthy and Chris DiPretoro combined for 11 points to lead the attack. McCarthy tallied seven points on one goal and a career-high six assists to top all point scorers in the contest, while DiPretoro netted four goals to collect his fifth straight game with three or more goals. The Mount was able to hold off a late fourth-quarter surge from the Statesmen, thanks in large part to a pair of clutch saves from Matt Vierheller in the final 1:10 of action.
- In the team's contest at Bucknell on April 7, DiPretoro notched five points to reach the 100-point plateau for his career, as he became the 26th player in program history to accomplish the feat. The junior's 83 career goals are also good for 15th-most in Mount history.
- The Mount's starting attack line of DiPretoro, McCarthy and Stephano Mastro rank top-three on the team in both goals and points this season. The trio has combined for 72 goals on the year, which accounts for over 50 percent of the team's total.
- DiPretoro and McCarthy both rank among the top-six in the conference in points per game at 3.55 and 3.42, respectively. DiPretoro is third in the league with 2.91 goals per contest, while McCarthy leads all NEC players with 1.92 assists per game.
- Mount St. Mary's is set to face Saint Joseph's for the 23rd time in series history on Saturday. The Mount holds a 13-9 advantage despite five straight wins by the Hawks. In the matchup last season, SJU posted a 15-11 victory in Emmitsburg behind seven points (2g, 5a) from Chris Blewitt. McCarthy notched a team-high four points (2g, 2a) for the Mount in the contest.
- Goals: DiPretoro (32), Mastro (22), McCarthy (18)
- Assists: McCarthy (23), Haggerty (9), Berg (8)
- Points: McCarthy (41), DiPretoro (39), Mastro (26)
- Ground balls: Stephan (97), Mangan (45), McIntosh (36)
- Caused turnovers: Mangan (18), McIntosh (17), Davies (11), Verkler (11)
- Faceoffs: Stephan (159-294, (54.1%) Ulrich (11-26, 42.3%)
- Save percentage: Mutterer (.456), Furnback (.430), Vierheller (.388)
SCOUTING SAINT JOSEPH'S
- The Hawks remain undefeated in Northeast Conference play with a 4-0 mark and 8-3 overall record as they occupy the top spot in the league standings. They posted a 14-7 victory over defending NEC Champs Bryant this past Saturday, before knocking off No. 20 Penn on Tuesday to extend their winning streak to eight straight.
- The Saint Joe's offense is led by Chris Blewitt (19g, 17a), who ranks fifth in the conference with 3.44 points per contest. Mike Rastivo is tied with Blewitt for the team-lead in goals (19), while ranking second in points (30). Goalie Mike Adler owns a .589 save percentage and is yielding just 8.35 goals per game in 10 starts.
- The Mountaineers host Wagner in the regular season finale on Saturday, April 28 at 1 p.m. Mount St. Mary's will honor its five seniors with a pregame ceremony as part of Senior Day.