Mount St. Mary’s Holds Off Hobart to Collect Crucial Conference Victory

Mount St. Mary’s Holds Off Hobart to Collect Crucial Conference Victory

Emmitsburg, Md. (April 14, 2018) – Mount St. Mary's University held off a late fourth-quarter surge by Hobart to a collect a crucial 15-14 victory in Northeast Conference action on Saturday afternoon at Waldron Family Stadium. Brenden McCarthy and Chris DiPretoro combined for 11 points to lead the Mount offense in the win.

McCarthy tallied seven points on one goal and a career-high six assists to top all point scorers in the contest, while DiPretoro netted four goals to collect his fifth straight game with three or more goals. Stephano Mastro helped pace the squad with three goals and one helper, and Henry Berg chipped in two goals and an assist. Joe Bethke and Jack Mangan registered two goals apiece to round out the Mount's multi-goal scorers on the day.

Dylan Furnback stopped five shots if 51:41 minutes of action in the Mount cage, and senior Matt Vieheller closed out the final eight-plus minutes, making several key late stops to help secure the win.

For Hobart, Eric Holden led the way with five points (2g, 3a), while Justin Scott, Ryan Archer and Koko Avedisian registered a pair of goals and one assist each.

Sam Lucchesi made nine saves in the losing effort in goal for the Statesmen, dropping him to 4-6 on the year.

The Mount held a 9-4 lead at the halftime intermission after a strong opening half that saw the Mountaineers outshoot the Statesmen by a 26-14 margin. DiPretoro tallied a hat trick and Bethke scored both of his goals in the opening half to pace the Mountaineers.

Coming out of the break, Hobart netted the first four goals of the second half, including a pair from Holden, to cut the deficit to 9-8 at the 3:55 mark.

Berg ended the Mount's scoring drought just over a minute later with his second of the game off a feed from Mastro, but the Statesmen answered with a pair of quick goals to knot things up at 10-10 late in the third frame.

The Mount was able to re-take the lead with just 16 seconds remaining in the quarter, as Mangan muscled his way towards net and beat Lucchesi to make it 11-10 Mountaineers heading into the fourth.

After a goal from Scott to open the fourth quarter re-tied the game, the Mount tallied four straight goals in a span of three minutes to take back momentum. McCarthy played a part in three of the four goals, as the surge gave the Mountaineers a 15-11 advantage with 9:30 remaining.

The Mount still held a three-goal lead heading under the three-minute mark, before Archer's second goal of the contest pulled the Statesmen within a pair, 15-13. Hobart won the ensuing faceoff and Scott was able to capitalize by beating Vierheller to cut the Mount lead to just one, 15-14, with 2:34 left in the tilt.

With 1:10 on the clock, Hobart had a golden opportunity to tie things up, but Holden's low shot was turned away on a nice save from Vierheller as the senior helped preserve the Mount's one-goal lead.

In the final seconds of the game the Statesmen had another chance at the tying goal, but Aslanian's shot with eight seconds left was stopped by Vierheller once again as the Mountaineers escaped with the 15-14 victory.

Following the Mount's win, both the Mountaineers and Statesmen moved to 4-8 overall on the year and 1-3 in conference play.

Mount St. Mary's heads to Saint Joseph's for a matchup next Saturday, April 21 at noon.