Chris DiPretoro Scores Career-High Seven Goals, but Mount St. Mary’s Edged Late at Sacred Heart

Chris DiPretoro Scores Career-High Seven Goals, but Mount St. Mary’s Edged Late at Sacred Heart

Fairfield, Conn. (March 31, 2018) – Junior Chris DiPretoro netted a career-high seven goals, including six in the second half of play, but Logan Liljeberg's tally with just 56 seconds remaining proved to be the game-winner as Sacred Heart escaped with a 10-9 victory on Saturday in Northeast Conference action.

DiPretoro's seven goals are tied for third-most in a single game in program history, and are the most by a Mountaineer since Cody Lehrer's seven-goal performance against 10th-ranked Lafayette in 2010. Matt Warner (eight goals vs St. Joseph's in 2005) and Bob Kennedy (nine goals vs. James Madison in 1982) are the only two players with more goals in a game in Mount history.

DiPretoro, who registered eight points total in the contest (7g, 1a), scored four straight goals in a stretch spanning the second and third quarters. The junior attackman tallied seven of his eight points in the second half to lead the Mount comeback. Matt Haggerty (1g, 1a) and Henry Berg (2a) also helped pace the Mountaineers on the afternoon with two points apiece.

Rookie goalie Dylan Furnback made 19 saves in his first collegiate start, which is the most by a Mount St. Mary's goalie this season.

After netting the final goal of the first half to cut the Mount's deficit to 6-2, DiPretoro continued the momentum into the third quarter to help bring his team back into the contest.

Midway through the third, DiPretoro beat a defender coming across the near side and slung a shot past goalie Brooks Dutton into the top shelf for his second goal of the contest.

DiPretoro kept things going just over three minutes later, netting a man-up goal off a nice feed from Berg to cut the deficit to two. Sam Stephan won the ensuing faceoff and rushed the ball downfield and found DiPretoro on the door step, where he beat Dutton once against for his fourth consecutive goal, bringing the Mount within a score at the 4:11 mark.

Just over a minute later, the Mount struck once again as Haggerty received a pass from DiPretoro and rifled one just inside the far pipe to tie things at 6-6.

The Pioneers were able to put an end to a string of five straight Mount St. Mary's goals as Saggese registered his third of the tilt to put SHU back on top, 7-6, late in the third.

Stephan won the opening faceoff in the fourth quarter and sent a pass to the far side to Brenden McCarthy, who threaded a quick pass to DiPretoro down low. DiPretoro found the back of the net once again to tie the game at 7-all just eight seconds into the period.

Saggese put SHU back on top at the 10:26 mark, but DiPretoro answered with back-to-back tallies, his sixth and seventh goals of the game, to give the Mountaineers their first lead of the contest, 9-8, with just 5:25 showing on the clock.

Just under a minute after taking the lead, the Mountaineers turned one over in their own end, and Max Tuttle found Saggese for his fifth goal of the contest to tie the game at 9-9 with 4:36 remaining.

Heading under the 1-minute mark, Liljeberg worked his way around the cage and slipped in front before slinging a lefty shot just over Furnback's shoulder to give the Pioneers a 10-9 advantage with 56 seconds left.

Stephan won the ensuing faceoff for the Mount, and Head Coach Tom Gravante called a timeout with 45 seconds on the clock. Coming out of the stoppage, DiPretoro fired a shot in a bid for his eighth goal, but was turned away by Dutton, and the Pioneers were able to run out the clock to escape with the 10-9 victory.

SHU improved to 5-5 overall and 1-2 in NEC play with the win, while the Mount dropped to 3-7 overall and 0-3 in conference.

Saggese registered a team-high six points (5g, 1a) to lead SHU, while Kevin Cop (2g) and Tuttle (1g, 1a) each added two points. Dutton collected the win in goal with a 13-save performance.

Mount St. Mary's returns to action on April 7 for its final non-conference game of the year at Bucknell.