Mar 30, 2018
ABOUT THE MOUNT
- The Mountaineers look to get back on track in conference play after dropping contests to Bryant, 20-11, and 20th-ranked Robert Morris, 15-5, in their opening pair of league games. The Mount sits at 3-6 overall with wins over UMBC, VMI and Mercer.
- Mount St. Mary's had scored double-digit goals in seven of its first eight games of the season before being held to five tallies last time out against Robert Morris. The Mountaineers, who are averaging nearly three goals per game more than last season, rank 28th in the nation at 11.22 goals per contest.
- The trio of Stephano Mastro, Chris DiPretoro and Brenden McCarthy each rank among the top-10 in the league in goals scored this season. Rookie Sam Stephan, who went 16-for-22 at the X and tied his career-high with 11 ground balls last time out, owns a .549 faceoff percentage on the year. Fellow freshman Luke Mutterer has started each of the last six games between the pipes for the Mount, posting a .444 save percentage.
- In 11 all-time meetings, Sacred Heart owns an 8-3 advantage over the Mount, including a 13-5 victory last season in Emmitsburg. In that contest, Joe Saggese and Bryce Jurk combined for 14 points to lead the Pios, while DiPretoro paced the Mount with a pair of goals.
- Goals: Mastro (18), McCarthy (17), DiPretoro (17)
- Assists: McCarthy (14), Bethke (6), Haggerty (6)
- Points: McCarthy (31), DiPretoro (22), Mastro (20)
- Ground balls: Stephan (69), Mangan (37), McIntosh (26)
- Caused turnovers: McIntosh (13), Mangan (13), Davies (9), Verkler (9)
- Faceoffs: Stephan (118-215, 54.9%)
- Save pct: Mutterer (.444)
SCOUTING SACRED HEART
- The Pioneers are still looking for their first NEC win of the year after falling to Robert Morris, 12-8, and Bryant, 16-7, to open league play. Sacred Heart sits at 4-5 overall, with its victories coming against Stony Brook, Furman, Dartmouth and Providence.
- Juniors Max Tuttle and Joe Saggese headline the Pioneer offense as the duo are the top-two in the conference in both goals and points. Tuttle has 43 points (32g, 11a) on the year, while Saggese has tallied 35 (24g, 11a). Sophomore goalie Brooks Dutton has posted a .478 save percentage and 12.30 goals against average in nine starts.
- The Mount heads to Bucknell for the final non-conference game of the season on April 7, with opening faceoff set for 7 p.m.