Mar 23, 2018
ABOUT THE MOUNT
- In the conference opener this past weekend, the Mountaineers weren't able to replicate last season's NEC-opening win over Bryant, this time falling to the Bulldogs by a 20-11 margin which dropped the Mount to 3-5 overall and 0-1 in league play on the year. Chris DiPretoro (3g) and Brenden McCarthy (2g) combined for five of the team's 11 tallies in the contest.
- With 11 goals in the matchup at Bryant, the Mount has now scored double-digit goals in seven of eight games thus far, already surpassing last year's mark of five games in double-digits.
- The Mount's high-powered offense is generating 12.00 goals per contest, which is good for 15th-most in the nation and tied for second in the Northeast Conference behind only Robert Morris (12.14). The Mountaineers are currently averaging 3.21 goals per game more than last season.
- A big part of the team's offensive success has been centered on sophomore attack Brenden McCarthy. The Everett, Mass. native ranks among the top-10 in the NEC in goals, assists and points per contest. McCarthy's mark of 1.75 assists per game ranks third in the league, trailing only Jimmy Perkins of RMU and Chris Aslanian of Hobart.
- Another key for the Mount this season has been the success of rookie faceoff specialist Sam Stephan, who owns the second-best faceoff percentage (.528) in the NEC, and ranks ninth in the nation in ground balls per game (7.25).
- Saturday's matchup will be the 11th all-time meeting between Mount St. Mary's and Robert Morris. The Colonials own a slight 6-4 advantage in the series after taking each of the last five matchups. Last season, RMU pulled out an 11-10 overtime victory on Ryan Smith's game-winner. Chris DiPretoro (3g), Brendan Doyle (2g, 1a) and Jack Mangan (2g) each registered multi-goal efforts in the loss.
- The Mount will play its third nationally ranked opponent of the season, with previous contests against No. 18 Towson and No. 17 Georgetown. Mount St. Mary's has five wins against ranked opponents in program history, with its last such victory coming in 2013 against 18th-ranked Bucknell.
- Goals: Mastro (17), McCarthy (17), DiPretoro (14)
- Assists: McCarthy (14), Bethke (6), DiPretoro (5), Haggerty (5), Doyle (5)
- Points: McCarthy (31), Mastro (19), DiPretoro (19)
- Ground balls: Stephan (58), Mangan (30), McIntosh (22)
- Caused turnovers: McIntosh (12), Mangan (12), Davies (9)
- Faceoffs: Stephan (102-193, 52.8%)
- Save pct: Mutterer (.468)
SCOUTING ROBERT MORRIS
- The Colonials, who sit at 5-2 overall and 1-0 in league play, are ranked 20th in the nation in the USILA Coaches Poll and 14th in the Maverik Inside Lacrosse Media Poll. In the conference opener last Saturday, RMU completed a second-half comeback to defeat Sacred Heart by a 12-8 final. The Colonials have topped a pair of ranked opponents this season in #16 Penn State and #19 Marquette.
- Matt Schmidt (17g, 8a) and Jimmy Perkins (11g, 17a) are the team's top-two scorers through the first seven games, combining for 53 points on the year. Alex Heger owns a .578 save percentage and 8.21 goals against average in seven starts in goal.
- The Mount continues NEC play at Sacred Heart next Saturday, March 31 at 12 noon.