Mount St. Mary’s Men’s Lacrosse Tops Mercer, 12-9

Mount St. Mary’s Men’s Lacrosse Tops Mercer, 12-9

Emmitsburg, Md. (March 10, 2018) – Mount St. Mary's registered a 12-9 victory over Mercer on Saturday at Waldron Family Stadium in the Mount's final tune-up game before conference play. Stephano Mastro led all scorers with four goals in the contest, while six other Mountaineers added multi-point performances.

Mastro's four-goal game was his fifth multi-goal effort of the season and fourth straight. The redshirt sophomore tallied three of his goals in the second half, including a late pair to help seal the victory.

Luke Frankeny and Joe Bethke each registered two goals in the tilt to help pace the Mount, and Henry Berg added a career-best three assists. Luke Mutterer performed well once again between the pipes for the Mount in his fourth straight start, posting 11 saves to collect the win.

Pascal Coombs (3g, 1a) and Bryan Gibson (3g) led the way for Mercer, while Scott Baird and Michael Quinn each added a goal and one assist apiece. Bradley Hodoval took the loss in goal despite a 12-save performance.

The Mountaineers fired off 53 shots in the contest, compared to just 38 from Mercer. The Mount also held big advantages on ground balls (42-26) and faceoffs (19-6). Rookie Sam Stephan won a season-high 19 faceoffs on 25 attempts at the X, and added a season-best 11 ground balls as well.

A defensive-focused first half saw the teams take a 4-4 tie into the halftime break. Four different Mountaineers tallied a goal apiece in the opening half and Berg notched two of the three assists before the intermission.

Mount St. Mary's posted a strong third quarter, outscoring Mercer by a 5-2 margin in the frame. After the teams traded goals in the opening minute of the stanza, the Mount netted four straight in a span of just over six minutes to take its largest lead of the contest at 9-5.

Mercer scored the final goal of the third period, and Coombs opened the fourth with two straight scores to bring the Bears within just one, 9-8, with 9:25 remaining.

Bethke gave the Mount some breathing room on an unassisted tally at the 6:29 mark, and Mastro followed with another under a minute later to push the Mountaineer advantage to 11-8 with 5:33 on the clock.

Mastro registered his fourth goal of the game with 1:37 left to essentially seal the victory for the Mountaineers, as they went on for the 12-9 win to improve to 3-4 on the year. With the loss, Mercer dropped to 2-5 overall.

Mount St. Mary's heads to Bryant for the Northeast Conference opener next Saturday (March 17) at 1 p.m.