Mangan’s Last-Second Goal Lifts Mount St. Mary’s Past Bryant in Conference Opener

Mangan’s Last-Second Goal Lifts Mount St. Mary’s Past Bryant in Conference Opener

Emmitsburg, Md. (March 18, 2017) – Jack Mangan's goal off a feed from Brenden McCarthy with just 1.8 seconds left in the contest lifted Mount St. Mary's University to a 6-5 victory over Bryant in the Northeast Conference opener on Saturday at Waldron Family Stadium.

McCarthy worked his way around the cage with time running down and found an open Mangan just a few feet in front of the crease. Mangan sent a quick shot past Bryant goalie James Werner for the game-winner with under two ticks showing on the clock.

With the victory, the Mount improved to 2-4 overall and 1-0 in league play, while Bryant fell to 4-5 on the year and 0-1 in conference.

Mangan and Chris DiPretoro led the Mount offense with three points apiece on two goals and one assist. Bubba Johnson and Matt Haggerty scored the other goals for the Mountaineers in the contest.

Matt Vierheller came up big for the Mount between the pipes, making several key tough saves throughout the tilt. The junior posted a season-high 15 saves on 20 shots on goal, good for a .750 save percentage.

Cam Ziegler tallied a pair of goals to lead the Bryant attack, while Kyle Cornell, Jake Buonaiuto and Ryan Sharpe registered a goal apiece.

Werner took the loss in net for the Bulldogs despite an 11-save performance.

Bryant held the Mount scoreless for almost the entire first half of play while building a 3-0 lead behind goals from Buonaiuto, Cornell and Ziegler. The Mount finally got on the scoresheet with 1:40 remaining in the half as DiPretoro scored off a feed from Mangan in a man-down situation for the Mountaineers.

Trailing 3-1 to begin the third quarter, Mangan picked up a loose ball off the opening faceoff and took it the distance before beating Werner to trim the Mount deficit to 3-2.

Sharpe pushed the Bryant lead to 4-2 just over a minute later on an unassisted tally, but the Mountaineers scored the final three goals of the stanza to take their first lead of the contest, 5-4.

The Bulldogs evened the tilt at 5-5 early in the fourth on Ziegler's second goal of the game, and the tilt remained tied at 5-5 until Mangan's eventual game-winner with 1.8 seconds left.

Bryant held a slight advantage on shots (38-35) and ground balls (27-22), and Kenny Massa won 13-16 faceoffs in the X.

The Mount returns to action on Saturday, March 25 for a matchup at Robert Morris at 1 p.m.