Men’s Lacrosse Clipped By 15th-Ranked Richmond, 10-7

Men’s Lacrosse Clipped By 15th-Ranked Richmond, 10-7

Emmitsburg, Md. (February 21, 2017) – The Mount St. Mary's University men's lacrosse team was clipped by 15th-ranked Richmond, 10-7, on Tuesday at Waldron Family Stadium. Rookie Brenden McCarthy paced the Mountaineers in the contest with his first career hat trick.

McCarthy added one assist to go along with his three goals for a team-high four points. Chris DiPretoro helped pace the Mount with a pair of goals, while Bubba Johnson (1g, 1a) and Jack Mangan (1g) added one goal apiece.

Ryan Lee (3g), Teddy Hatfield (2g, 1a) and Dan Ginestro (1g, 2a) led Richmond to the victory with three points each, and four other Spiders chipped in with a goal apiece.

Matt Vierheller made four stops but took the loss in goal for the Mount. Freshman Cameron Carpenter made his collegiate debut in the second half, registering two saves in 30 minutes of action.

Benny Pugh improved to 3-0 in cage for Richmond with eight saves in the tilt.

The Spiders jumped out to a 2-0 lead with goals from Brendan Hynes and Hatfield in the opening six minutes of play, but McCarthy answered back with the game's next pair of scores to even the game at 2-2 with 2:06 left in the first. Tyler Shoults netted one with just 19 seconds left in the period to send the Spiders into the second with a 3-2 advantage.

Richmond opened a 5-3 lead midway through the third quarter on a goal from Austin Cunningham, and held the Mount off the board until the 1:20 mark of the frame when Jack Mangan struck to bring the Mount within one, 5-4. McCarthy netted his third goal of the contest with 18 seconds left in the third to tie things up at 5-all heading into the fourth.

Ginestro, Hatfield and J.P. Forester each scored in the opening seven minutes of the final period, sandwiched around a tally from Bubba Johnson, as the Spiders padded their lead to 8-6 with 8:02 left in the tilt.

DiPretoro registered his second goal of the contest at the 5:51 mark to cut the Mount deficit to just one, 8-7, but Lee put the game out of reach with a pair of goals in the final three minutes for Richmond as the Spiders closed out the 10-7 win.

The Mountaineers outshot Richmond, 32-30, and held a 30-23 advantage in ground balls. The Spiders went 14-21 in the faceoff circle, led by Peter Moran, who won all 14 of the team's faceoffs and picked up five ground balls.

The Mount closes out its four-game home stand against Furman this Sunday (Feb. 26) at noon.