Mount St. Mary's Men's Lacrosse Hosts Richmond on Tuesday Afternoon

Mount St. Mary's Men's Lacrosse Hosts Richmond on Tuesday Afternoon


MOUNT UPDATE: The Mount fell to No. 12/13 Towson, 13-5, at Waldron Family Stadium on Saturday afternoon.  Chris DiPretoro paced the Mountaineers with a pair of goals. Trailing 7-3 at the half, the Mountaineers saw Towson take control of the game in the second half, scoring six consecutive goals to build a 13-3 advantage. Towson's Mazza scored three times during the run, giving him six in the game. The Mount's Brendan Doyle and Bubba Johnson scored in the closing minutes to round out the scoring. Towson outshot the Mount, 40-24, in the game while holding a 36-17 edge in ground balls.

ABOUT RICHMOND: Richmond is coming off a 10-5 win at home against UMBC this past Saturday. The Spiders were led by Ryan Lee who had three goals and one assist and Teddy Hatfield added two goals and one assist. Lee started the scoring for the Spiders and was followed by three other goals to give Richmond a 4-0 lead with 12:15 to go in the first half. UMBC finally got on the board when Mitch Howell scored their first goal with 6:57 remaining in the first half. Richmond added two more goals for a 6-1 lead at half time. Richmond and UMBC were even in the second half with both teams scoring four goals. Richmond's commanding lead in the first half would be too much to overcome. The Spiders were outshot, 32-24, in the game, but Richmond goalkeeper Benny Pugh made ten saves in the win.

THE ALL-TIME SERIES: Richmond is 2-0 against the Mount since the school moved to NCAA Division I in 1989.  The only two meetings have been close games, but have found the Mount coming up just short in each. 

LAST YEAR'S MEETING: Mount St. Mary's lost at Richmond, 9-6, on February 23, last season.  Bubba Johnson led the Mountaineers with three assists in the game.  After Richmond had taken a 1-0 advantage, Mark Hojnoski scored a man-up goal to even the score with 10:33 left in the opening quarter. The Spiders would take control of the game scoring five more goals to go up 6-1 until 4:05 was left in the first half. The Mount quickly responded, scoring three times over the final 3:46 of the half to cut the deficit to 6-4. Timothy Mangan's first career goal with 3:47 left in the half started the rally.  The Mount won the ensuing face-off, and Mike Moynihan converted a Johnson pass just nine seconds later to make it 6-3.  Ryan Lamon's goal with 1:07 left in the half made it 6-4.  Mount St. Mary's continued to rally on goals from Bennett Zaba and Chris DiPretoro to knot the score at 6-6 with 9:40 left in the third quarter. Richmond's Dan Ginestro snapped the tie with 4:31 left in the third quarter.  The Mount had several scoring chances in the fourth quarter, but could not connect for a goal as Richmond's goalie, Pugh, made six saves in the final 15 minutes. Richmond's Mitch Goldberg scored just under three minutes into the final quarter to make it 8-6, and Teddy Hatfield's goal with just under three minutes left in the game provided the final margin.