Jalen Gibbs Propels Mount St. Mary's Past Howard, 73-56

Jalen Gibbs Propels Mount St. Mary's Past Howard, 73-56

Washington, D.C. (November 30, 2019)—Jalen Gibbs poured in 17 of his game-high 23 points in the second half to lead Mount St. Mary's to a 73-56 win at Howard on Saturday.  The Mount rallied from an eight-point deficit early in the second half to secure the win.

Malik Jefferson added 16 points and seven rebounds while Damian Chong Qui stuffed the stat sheet with 14 points, eight rebounds and seven assists in the victory.  Nana Opoku chipped in nine points while Chidozie Collin Nnamene added seven rebounds in the game.

Howard took its biggest lead of the game, 35-27, after a Charles Williams three-pointer on the first possession of the second half.  The Mount answered back with a 10-0 run to take the lead, with Opoku hitting a pair of three-pointers, including one that put the Mount (3-5) ahead, 37-35.

Howard (0-9) answered with the next seven points to take the lead back, 42-37, but the Mountaineers fought back, taking the lead on a Gibbs traditional three-point play with 12:39 left in the second half.  After a Howard three-pointer evened the score, Gibbs connected on back-to-back triples to put the Mount ahead by six.

Leading 52-51, Jalen Jefferson kick-started a 9-0 run with a putback to help the Mount extend the advantage to 61-51.  Malik Jefferson added a bucket in the paint, Gibbs a three-pointer, and Malik Jefferson another bucket in the paint to make it a 10-point game with 5:25 remaining.  From there, the Mount was able to cruise to the victory.

The Mount shot 44.1 percent (26-of-66) from the floor in the game while hitting 9-of-29 (.310) from beyond the three-point arc.  The Mount held a 46-30 edge on the boards while holding Howard to 39.2 percent (20-of-51) shooting in the game.

Gibbs hit 8-of-19 from the field and 4-of-13 from three-point range en route to his season-high 23 points.  Williams led Howard with 13 points and nine rebounds in the loss.

The Mount took an early 7-2 lead on a Gibbs traditional three-point play.  The Mount extended the advantage to 14-7 on a Chong Qui three-pointer before Howard scored the next seven points to even the score.

Omar Habwe and Chong Qui book-ended a 10-0 run to give the Mount its biggest lead of the half at 24-14.  The Bison responded with a 15-0 run of its own to take the lead.  Bristol hit a pair of three-pointers, including one to tie the score at 24-24.  Ray Bethea, Jr., then knocked down a three-pointer from the left corner to give Howard its first lead of the game, and then Bethea, Jr., dunked home a baseline drive to make it a five-point Bison lead.  Chong Qui converted a lay-up off a steal, but Kyle Foster hit a three-pointer to stretch Howard's advantage to 32-26.  Gibbs added a free throw to make it 32-27 at the half.

The Mount shot 34.4 percent (11-of-32) from the field and 23.1 percent (3-of-13) from three-point range in the opening half. Howard used 6-of-13 (.423) shooting from beyond the arc to take the halftime advantage.

The Mount returns to the court on Tuesday, December 5, at Grand Canyon.  Tip-off for the game is set for 9:00 p.m. (ET).

GAME NOTES:  This was the first meeting between the Mount and Howard since an 82-62 Mount victory on Dec. 3, 1996…The Mount holds a 4-1 lead in the all-time series…The Mount improves to 11-7 all-time against Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) opponents.