Mount Men's Basketball's Gritty Performance undone by Huskies in Second Half

Mount Men's Basketball's Gritty Performance undone by Huskies in Second Half

SEATTLE, Wash. (Nov. 12, 2019) - Mount St. Mary's stared down the #20 team in the nation Tuesday evening and delivered a tough, gritty performance. After forcing their way to a 21-21 tie at halftime, the Washington Huskies gradually pulled away in the second half and the Mountaineers were defeated, 56-46. 

The Mountaineers (1-2) were led in scoring by Vado Morse with 10, and in rebounds by Malik Jefferson with 11. Mount stayed in the game despite shooting 29.1% from the floor, thanks in large part to 13 offensive rebounds and seven three-pointers. Damian Chong Qui and Naim Miller contributed nine points each, peppered throughout clutch moments and keeping the Mountaineers in the contest. 

Washington (2-0) was led by Isaiah Stewart and his 16 points. Nahziah Carter added 14 points, including several key buckets down the stretch. The Huskies also benefited from 11 blocks on defense. 

Jefferson was the early catalyst for the Mount, scoring four points early, aiding to a 6-0 run for the Mountaineers that lasted more than five minutes. The Huskies were able to hold their own defensively and managed to tie the game at 8-8 with 8:02 remaining. Miller buried a triple to put Mount back on top, which lasted until Washington grabbed their first lead at 5:52 on a three from Elijah Hardy. Chidozie Collin Nnamene hit a jumper inside of two minutes to flip the lead back to the Mount, but Stewart put in a basket under 10 seconds to deny a halftime lead for the visitors. 

Washington set the tone early in the second half with a 6-0 run before Chong Qui knocked down a trey at 17:48. That didn't mean the Mountaineers went away quietly as the team fought through the Huskies' blocks. A offensive board and layup from Nana Opoku with 11:23 left put the Mount up 34-33 and forced a timeout. But that would be the last time the Mount would see the lead as the Huskies found the momentum to regain the lead and keep it. The Mountaineers stayed within 10 until a Carter free throw with 45 seconds left. 

Mount St. Mary's continues their road trip Friday (Nov. 15) against Lamar in Beaumont, Texas.