Feb 12, 2019
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (6-19, 3-9 NEC) vs. ROBERT MORRIS (13-12, 8-4 NEC)
Thursday, February 14, 2019, 7 pm
Knott Arena, Emmitsburg, Md.
NEWS AND NOTES
- Vado Morse and Jalen Gibbs combined for 44 points to lead the Mount past Sacred Heart, 76-73, on Saturday. Morse led the way with 23 points, seven rebounds and five assists while Gibbs contributed 21 points and six rebounds. The Mount led by as much as 17 points in the second half, and withstood a late Sacred Heart rally to secure the victory. The Mount shot 53.7 percent from the field and 8-of-16 (.500) from three-point range in the win.
- The Mount and Robert Morris have developed one of the top rivalries in the Northeast Conference. The all-time series is tied at 34 wins each while the teams have met in nine of the past 13 Northeast Conference Tournaments, including the NEC title game in 2009 and 2014. The Mount has defeated Robert Morris three times when they were the No. 1 seed in the NEC Tournament, including an 88-71 victory in the 2014 NEC Championship game.
- Vado Morse led the Mount with 23 points while Jalen Gibbs chipped in 21 in the victory over Sacred Heart on Saturday. It is the first time the Mount has had a pair of 20-point scorers in the same game since Junior Robinson (24) and Jonah Antonio (21) did it in an 86-80 win over LIU Brooklyn at Knott Arena on Jan. 25, 2018.
- Freshman guard Vado Morse won his fifth Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week award on Monday after averaging 15.5 points, 5.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds in a 1-1 week. His five Rookie of the Week awards tie Shivaughn Wiggins for the most-ever by a Mount player since the joining the league in 1989-90. In addition, the five ROW honors are tied for fifth on the NEC's all-time list.
- Freshman forward Malik Jefferson has scored in double figures in four consecutive games, and six of the past seven. He is averaging 14.8 points and 7.3 rebounds while shooting 72.2 percent from the field over the past four games. Jefferson is shooting a league-best 67.1 percent from the floor in NEC games this season.