Mount Comeback Comes Up Short in 74-67 Loss to St. Francis Brooklyn

Mount Comeback Comes Up Short in 74-67 Loss to St. Francis Brooklyn

Emmitsburg, Md. (January 26, 2019)--Mount St. Mary's staged a furious rally, but came up short in a 74-67 loss to St. Francis Brooklyn before a homecoming crowd of 3,011 at Knott Arena.  Freshman Vado Morse paced the Mountaineers with 24 points in the game.

The Mount (5-16, 2-6 NEC) trailed by 16 points with just over five minutes remaining before catching fire from three-point range to rally.  The Mount made seven consecutive three-pointers to trim the deficit to 70-67.  After a St. Francis Brooklyn turnover, the Morse had a chance to tie the score with 15 seconds left, but his three-pointer from the left win was just short, and Glenn Sanabria grabbed the board for the Terriers and was fouled.  He hit both free throws for a five-point lead, and St. Francis was able to secure the win.

The Mount's Omar Habwe sandwiched a pair of three-pointers around a Jalen Jordan bucket for St. Francis to make it a 12-point deficit.  Morse connected on a pair of three-pointers of his own around a Rosel Hurley basket for St. Francis to cut the deficit to 66-58 with 3:14 on the clock.  After a jumper by Stevan Krtinic, Habwe made his third three-pointer in just over three minutes to make it a seven-point game.  Hurley countered with a bucket for the Terriers (13-8, 5-3 NEC) with 1;20 remaining, but the Mount's Jalen Gibbs connected on a three-pointer from the top of the key to make it 70-64.  The Mount then fouled Sanabria, who missed the front end of a one-and-one with 58 seconds on the clock.  The Mount found Morse open behind the arc, and he drained his fifth three-pointer of the game to make it 70-67 with 49 seconds remaining.  The Mount then forced a turnover to regain possession with 32 seconds left to set up Morse with the potential game-tying shot.

St. Francis Brooklyn opened the game with an 11-0 run to take control early.  The Terriers built the advantage to as much as 16 points in the opening half before heading to the locker room with a 42-27 advantage.  St. Francis opened the second half with back-to-back buckets to take its biggest lead of the game at 46-27.

Morse matched his career high of 24 points set this past Thursday in the Mount's win over LIU Brooklyn.  The freshman guard, a three-time Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week, has scored 20 or more points in three of the past four games.  He finished this game with 24 points on 8-of-15 shooting from the field and 5-of-11 from three-point range.  Habwe tallied 12 points for the Mount, hitting 3-of-6 from beyond the arc, while Gibbs had 11 points and four rebounds. 

St. Francis Brooklyn had five players score in the game, and each hit for double figures.  Hurley led the way with 16 points and six boards with Deniz Celen adding a double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds.  Jordan and Krtinic chipped in 15 points each for the Mount with Sanabria finishing with 13.

The Mount shot 41.4 percent in the game and was 9-of-30 (.300) from three-point range.  The Mountaineers made just 2-of-21 from beyond the arc to start the game before getting hot from beyond the arc.  St. Francis shot 49.2 percent overall and was 6-of-20 (.300) from three-point range.  The Terriers held a 39-to-29 edge on the boards.

Mount St. Mary's continues its four-game home stand on Thursday, January 31, when Sacred Heart visits Knott Arena for a 7:00 p.m. tip-off.