Posted: Jan 17, 2019
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (3-14, 0-4 NEC) vs. WAGNER (8-7, 3-1 NEC)
Saturday, January 19, 2019, 4 pm
Spiro Sports Center, Staten Island, N.Y.
NEWS AND NOTES
- The Mount jumped out to a 16-point lead against Central Connecticut this past Saturday, but saw the Blue Devils stage a rally for a 77-68 win at Knott Arena. Omar Habwe led four Mountaineers in double figures with 17 points. The Mount hit 13-of-29 (.448) from three-point range in the game. The Mount raced to a 27-11 lead midway through the first half, and held a 12-point advantage just over six minutes into the second half.
- Wagner holds a 37-22 lead in the all-time series against the Mountaineers. The teams split the season series last year with each winning on their homecourt. Wagner has won eight of the past nine matchups at the Spiro Sports Center. The Mount's lone win in that stretch was a 77-72 victory in the Northeast Conference semifinals on March 8, 2014.
- Sophomore Omar Habwe averaged a double-double of 14.0 points and 11.5 rebounds in the Mount's two home games last week. Habwe opened the week by pulling down a career-best 17 rebounds against Bryant January 10. He followed with a team-high 17 points in the Mount's 77-68 loss to Central Connecticut on January 12.
- After this week's two-game road trip to Wagner and FDU, the Mount will have a four-game homestand beginning January 24 vs. LIU Brooklyn.
- The Mount has been getting consistent contributions from the backcourt in Northeast Conference play. Freshmen Damian Chong Qui and Vado Morse have each scored in double figures in each of the Mount's four NEC games this season. Morse is averaging a team-high 14.3 points in NEC play while Chong Qui is averaging 13.5 points and a team-high 3.8 assists.
- Mount St. Mary's made a season-high 13 three-point field goals in the 77-68 loss to Central Connecticut on January 12. The Mount came out on fire, hitting 8-of-10 from beyond the arc to start the game. The previous high was 12 three-pointers against St. John's on December 5.