Posted: Nov 29, 2018
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (0-6) at LOYOLA (2-5)
Saturday, December 1, 2018, 1:00 p.m.
Reitz Arena, Baltimore, Md.
- The Mountaineers fell to 0-6 on the season with a 78-68 loss at Morgan State on November 25. With the score tied at 35 at the half, Morgan State opened the second half on a 26-to-12 run to take a 14-point lead. The Mount rallied to cut the deficit to seven with three minutes remaining, but could not complete the comeback. Jalen Gibbs paced the Mountaineers with 19 points and six boards while Nana Opoku added 15 points and nine rebounds. Vado Morse added 14 points while Malik Jefferson had 13 rebounds.
- The Mount and Loyola resume the most played rivalry in the state of Maryland. This will be the 174th all-time meeting between the two schools with the Mount holding a 100-73 advantage in the series. The Mountaineers have won four of the past five matchups, including an 80-75 overtime win at Knott Arena last season. The Mount is 11-6 against Loyola since 2001.
- The Mountaineers were 25-of-41 (.610) at the foul line at Morgan State. The 41 free throw attempts were the most by a Mount team in a game since going 32-for-41 (.780) at St. Francis Brooklyn on Jan. 10, 2009.
- The Mount features one of the youngest rosters in the nation. According to the latest KenPom experience ratings, the Mount is 348th out of 353 teams in experience, calculated by weighing the experience of each player on the roster based on minutes played. Only Chattanooga, Maryland, UCLA, Kentucky and UNC Asheville are below the Mount.
- Nana Opoku was named the Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week on Monday. Opoku averaged 13.0 points and 9.0 rebounds in the Mount's games against North Carolina A&T and Morgan State. Opoku scored a career-best 15 points while adding nine rebounds at Morgan State.
- Jalen Gibbs leads the Mountaineers in scoring at 17.2 points per game this season. Gibbs is shooting 50.0 percent from the field and 40.0 percent from three-point range on the year.