Fast Start Not Enough as The Mount Falls, 79-61, at Hofstra

Fast Start Not Enough as The Mount Falls, 79-61, at Hofstra

Hempstead, N.Y. (November 9, 2018) – Mount St. Mary's jumped out to a 16-1 lead over Hofstra in the early going, but the Mountaineers weren't able to sustain their fast start, falling to the Pride by a 79-61 final on Friday night at the David S. Mack Sports and Exhibition Complex.

The Mount defense was locked in early, holding Hofstra without a field goal on its first 12 attempts of the game. K.J. Scott provided the early offense for the Mountaineers, scoring six points in the first five minutes on 3-of-4 shooting. A three-pointer from Damian Chong Qui at the 14:58 mark gave the Mount a 12-0 advantage and forced an early timeout by Hofstra.

The Pride finally got on the board nearly six minutes into the contest as Dan Dwyer hit 1-of-2 from the line. Jalen Gibbs followed with back-to-back buckets for the Mountaineers to give them their largest lead of the game, 16-1, with 12:24 on the clock.

Hofstra connected for its first field goal of the tilt at the 12:02 mark on a jumper from Tareq Coburn. The Mount had held Hofstra to misses on its first 12 field goal attempts before the make from Coburn.

The Pride cut it to a single-digit game with 7:23 on the clock following Justin Wright-Foreman's first three-pointer of the contest. After Gibbs followed with a layup on the other end, Hofstra scored the game's next eight points to trim the Mount lead to 20-16 with 6:10 to play in the half.

Gibbs drained three-pointers on the team's next pair of possessions to give the Mountaineers a cushion, but Hofstra closed the half on a 13-1 run, capped by threes from Desure Buie and Jalen Ray on the team's last two possessions. The final three gave the Pride their first lead of the tilt, 31-28, which they took into halftime.

Hofstra pushed its lead to double-digits for the first time in the contest at the 15:13 mark of the second half following back-to-back buckets from Eli Pemberton and a three-pointer from Wright-Foreman.

The Mount battled back with the game's next eight points to trim the Hofstra lead back to three. Nana Opoku started the run with a three from the wing, and followed with a nice drive to the basket to make it five straight points for the redshirt freshman. Gibbs then registered a steal and a layup in transition to make it a 46-42 game, before Morse hit 1-of-2 from the line of the next possession to trim it to 46-43.

With the Mountaineers trailing by a 50-45 margin at the 11:36 mark, Hofstra began a 17-3 run over the next 3:18 of play to take control of the game. Pemberton fueled the rally with a pair of three-pointers and eight points during the stretch, as Hofstra took a 67-48 advantage with just over eight minutes remaining.

The Mount wasn't able to cut the deficit under 16 points for the remainder of the contest, and Hofstra came away with the 79-61 victory.

Gibbs, who scored 24 in the season opener on Tuesday, notched 21 in the contest to lead the Mountaineers in scoring once again. The sophomore shot 7-of-13 from the field while draining a trio of three-pointers and picking up eight rebounds. Scott added 14 points (7-13 FG) and nine rebounds, finishing just one rebound shy of a double-double. Opoku chipped in with 12 points on 5-of-7 shooting.

Wright-Foreman paced the Pride with 20 points and seven boards, while Buie and Pemberton chipped in with 18 points apiece.

The Mount posted a 41.1 percent mark from the field and went 8-for-24 (.333) from deep. Hofstra shot 45.3 percent in the game and went 9-for-23 (.391) from long range.

Hofstra improved to 1-0 following the win, while the Mount dropped to 0-2 on the year.

The Mountaineers continue their road swing with a contest at Marshall on Wednesday, November 14 at 7 p.m.