Posted: Nov 08, 2018
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (0-1) at HOFSTRA (0-0)
Friday, November 9, 2018, 7:30 p.m.
David S. Mack Sports and Exhibition Complex, Hempstead, N.Y.
- Mount St. Mary's opened the 2018-19 season with a 105-55 loss at NC State on Tuesday. The Mountaineers trailed 40-30 at the half, and were trailing 56-46 with 13 minutes remaining before the Wolfpack broke the game open. Sophomore transfer Jalen Gibbs scored 24 points in his first game in a Mountaineer uniform while freshman Vado Morse added 16 points and four assists. Redshirt freshman Nana Opoku chipped in a team-high seven rebounds and three blocks as well.
- Jalen Gibbs scored 24 points at NC State on Tuesday. It is the most points by a Mount player in a season opener since Jeremy Goode had 25 against Loyola in 2008. Freshman Vado Morse scored 16 points against the Wolfpack as well, the most points by a Mount freshman in their debut since Landy Thompson scored 28 at NC State in 2002.
- The Mount had three freshmen starters at NC State (Malik Jefferson, Vado Morse and Nana Opoku). It is the second consecutive season that the Mountaineers have started three freshmen in the season opener.
- Mount St. Mary's faces a daunting schedule to start the season. The Mount opened the year at NC State, and follow with games at Hofstra, Marshall and Maryland. The non-conference slate also includes games at St. John's and at Minnesota in December.
- Up next, the season-opening four-game road trip continues as the Mount heads to Marshall on Wednesday, November 14.